Meow Chat

This is my first written piece so I wanted to do something I could have fun with and feel relaxed with writing. I saw that ginawriter, is writing 'let's rant' using humour to express her opinions on the things that she sweats over in life. This inspired me. I wanted to write something similar; but what? Then I thought why not review crazes and events from the year? From the ridiculous trend setting ways to the must-see news films, I will try to cover it. Don't worry, I won't run out on topics to write about any time soon; I've made a list! I will aim to cover one topic a day and if not then at least one a week. So, here it goes: my first piece on wattpad. Feel free to post your opinions, suggestions on what to write and any improvements I should make on what I've written and on any ways I can improve; but not too harsh! :)

Note: I'm not aiming to write these topics in any sort of chronological/date order.

Meow Chat

Social Networking

Meow Chat is a social networking site which has started a few months ago though personally I haven't heard of it until three weeks ago so I'm guessing it hasn't been particularly popular before this. It started as an instant messaging service allowing people to talk with friends. However it re-launched this month after the app developers introduced a random chat feature. According to my research it allows you to chat current friends, find friends around the world and see what people nearby are up to including liking and commenting on photos. It can also find people with the same interests as you, living in the same country or living near who you may be compatible with. It is like Facebook messenger and a dating app. Its Google Play page states that it has been downloaded between 5 million and 10 million times for Android alone and its Facebook page shows that more than 1 million monthly users.

So far it sounds so good right? However, the app has become invitation-happy in my experience (from the amount of invitations I've received). For many, getting dozens of messages from friends encouraging them to download it becoming a source of annoyance. The reason for this seems to be that a pop-up message has been sent out to any users who didn't invite friends when they signed up, encouraging them to invite all their friends to the app.

As well as this, it lives up to its name by having plenty of pictures of cats.

For me, Meow Chat started off as an annoyance due to the Facebook requests I received inviting me to the app when I didn't know what the hell it was. I ignored them at first but when I got more requests recently I thought I'd do some research into what the app is exactly. To be fair it sounds like a good app especially because you can talk to anyone really if your friends aren't online. It has attracted slightly. However, the requests that I had for the game put me off slightly from downloading it at the current time. Also, it seems not many of my friends have the app; I don't want to be talking to strangers all the time. I am happy using Facebook messenger at the moment. When I get into a routine, I don't always want to change.

My other point is that there are lots of pictures of cats. Cats. Oh no. Don't get me wrong, I Iove animals but when it comes to cats I just tolerate them. I am not the sort of girl who will rush up to a cat and stroke it. I would more likely have a staring contest at the cat as I go past. I am a dog person one hundred per cent. When I ask someone if they prefer dogs or cats I always silently hope they say dogs. Why? Well not just we'll have something in common but because when I find someone who likes cat, I die slightly. Don't get me wrong, I'll still talk to you, like, hang out and all of the rest of the stuff BUT a little part of me will always slightly dislike just because you like cats. I can't help it! I just think that with cats, the human becomes a servant. They wait around for their meals and come back for sleep and then they are off roaming the local area. With dogs however I feel however you can form more of a bond with them and you can walk them! I know that sounds really bad and shallow to do that just because someone likes a cat that's just how I am!

I would like the app more if it wasn't cat related. I can probably get over the annoyance of the friend requests but I can't get over all the cats! It would be cool if it was a dog themed app. What about 'Woof Chat'? Nah, it's not as catchy I must admit; it doesn't really work!

Do I love it, like it, dislike it, hate or undecided...

For me I'm undecided. I may be pulled into the app in the future when more of my friends have got and got it because how you can talk to anyone. For now, feline fur balls are putting me off from downloading the app.

So, how did you like my first topic Meow Chat? What do you think; hot or not? Vote!