(2)

Staring outside the car window, Lizzie observed the large, majestic orange fireball setting in the far distance. The ball of flame hung gracefully in the sky and was partially concealed by hanging clouds of pinks, reds, blues and purples. It stared back at Lizzie with a dull glare, fully aware of its staggering beauty and the planets dependence upon it.

                  “The sun’s weird,” Lizzie murmured.

                  “What the fuck Lizzie,” John threw a pointed glare at her before returning his gaze back to the McDonalds where his mother entered several minutes ago. “Where the hell is she?”

                  “Don’t you think it reminds you a bit like dad?” Lizzie muttered again to her brother as she tilted her head slightly to observe the sun at a different angle.

                  “How the fuck does a great big ball of fire resemble the man whose loins we come from?” John rolled his eyes and looked back at the fast-food restaurant.

                  “Well, the sun gives warmth, life and happiness but it’s quite… destructive too. People get sunburnt when they stay outside for too long and apparently, the sun might kill us and burn us alive because of something called solar flares, I think.” Lizzie replied. “I know it was a long time ago, but do you remember when dad used to be happy? “

                  John's pursed his lips.

                  “I remember once when I was young, we were all in the house and dad picked me up and then placed both of my feet on one palm of his hand but he made me stand up so I was standing but supported by him.” Lizzie laughed, “Gosh, I was so scared that I was going to fall and I did but he caught me and no matter how scared I was, I always wanted him to do it again and again because I knew he’d catch me."

                  John remained quiet, his gaze fixated on the doors of McDonalds.

                  “He did give happiness and warmth and he also gave life; us. Even though he does all these awful things, he always manages to make everyone in the house laugh and the mood just gets… better. No one has any worries. No one’s is paranoid like a ninja hedgehog trying to walk through a balloon shop undetected. Everyone becomes careless until we remember who he is and what he’s capable of and when we do remember, it’s too late.”

                  “You over think things way too much Lizzie,” John turned to her, his expression soft. “You’re such a dork. Every other thirteen year old girl obsesses over these fake pop singers and make up but you…” he laughed and tilted his head back. “You’re just weird and obsess over animals and who the hell compared the sun to a human?” he shook his head.

                  “Well at least I’m creative and there’s nothing wrong with my love for animals. I still want a ferret and I’m still naming him Alistair!” Lizzie retorted.

                  “Why aren’t you a vegetarian if you love them so much?” John raised an eyebrow.

                  “I love them and everything about them, including what they taste like when mummy cooks them.” She mirrored his movements and raised an eyebrow.

                  “Dad hates pets.” John lay back in his seat and closed his eyes, finally giving up on staring at the front doors of McDonalds.

                  “At least he’ll leave the house more often,” Lizzie whispered with a smile.

                  “I don’t think that I can stand more of these annoying car journeys all the time just for an annoying ferret.”