Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Today is the day, today we play our homecoming game. Dexter is coming to my game, I can't let him down. I was pumped. Iwas excited. I was bouncing off the walls in my mind but on the outside I was calm and cool. Zach put his hand on my shoulder. Coach said that Zach could play only if we needed him and if I thought it was a good idea.

"What day is it?" I yell, kinda in Zach's face.

"Game day." Zach and the rest of the team yells back.

"I said what day is it?"

"Game day!" they yell louder.

"Who's gonna win?"

"Ravens!"

"I said who?"

"Ravens! Ravens! Ravens!"

Then we all run out of the field house and onto the field. The people in the stands scream, the band plays the school's fight song, the cheerleaders greet us with sparkling red and white pompoms as we run past them.

"Captains!" a referee calls. Zach and I run out onto the field.

"You're Dylan, right?" one of the other captains asks me.

"Yes I am."

"Let's see what you're made of." 

"Don't worry you will." I say with a simile.

"Damn she's hot." The other whispers loudly. I wink at the two boys then Zach laughs.

We won the coin toss and we chose to receive. The other team kicks the ball and our player catches it with ease, like always. I go out onto the field. The center snaps the ball. I look for Richie to be open -he is our best receiver and a friend I trust now- but he isn't open. I know I need to find someone else and fast. Just then Luke, a freshman, becomes open. I pray this kid can catch this. I throw the ball, I flies through the air and lands into Luke's arms. He holds the ball under his arm and runs, he is fast but Richie is much faster. The poor freshman gets thrown to the ground hard. This team is rough. I make sure my playser know to protect our receives.

"This team is out for blood you hear me." They nod.

This time when I pass the ball to Richie the other team grabs him by his facemask and throws him down. Our crowd starts screaming. That was a penalty, but the referee doesn't throw the flag. I run to the referee.

"He grabbed him by his facemask."

"I didn't see it."

"What? You had you eyes on him!"

He turned to me. "One more word and I'll give your team a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct."

I turn around and walk back to the team. I start the play, no one was open at all, I could see a guy starting to slip passed my guard coming for me. I saw Luke and threw the ball. I was hit hard and knocked down. From the ground I could see two huge guys coming for our receiver. Luke was kinda small and short. These two boys were giants. I watched as they grabbed him and threw him down before jumping on him.

The guy that was still on me was heavy but I didn't care. I pushed him off me. I threw off my helmet as I ran to Luke. The two boys were still on him but I could see his arm was broken. I grabbed the two and threw them off. I could hear my teammates yelling. The referee wasn't calling a penalty for unnecessary roughness. If they won't punish them then I will.

In a moment of pure rage, I grab one of the boys by his face mask. I get in his face. He grabs me by my braid and slings me. it feels like smoke is bursting from my ears. By now he has taken his helmet off. I punch him in the face. The other guy that hurt Luke runs up. I feel Zach grab me. I try to fight him but the two guys come at me. a punch to my mouth. I throw myself up so that I can kick both of them. They fall to the ground. Zach picks me up and pulls me to the sidelines. I spit a mixture of blood and saliva in the direction of the two players.

The referee that I got into it with earlier comes to me. "Get off this field now!" He yells. Then the crowd that had calmed down now starts screaming again. I watch as Tony jumps the fence.

"What the hell was that?" Tony yells at the referee.

"Another penalty on the Ravens!" the referee screams in Tony's face. I see tony ball his fist. Before he punched the Referee Dean steps in.

"T don't do this." Dean tries to calm him down. Two other referees grab me by my arms and starts to drag me off the field. That is when Dean losses his cool. Don't ever put your hands on Dean Brynn's little sister.

Whistles are being blown, people are screaming. It was complete chaos. Not only was I ejected from the game but so was two of our players, and Dean and Tony who weren't even playing. None of the other team was.

The score when I was taken out was tied 28 to 28. It was magical chance we were even tied. I guess with bad calls we still were good enough to win. 

I was in the field house, changing into clothes and mumbling to myself about how unfair it was. Yeah, maybe I punched someone but I was still spitting out blood from the punch I got. Luke was rushed to the emergency room and I hoped it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Finally, the doors to the field house bust open. I see Zach and the team. I was picked up and set on Zach and Richie's shoulders.

"Dylan! Dylan! Dylan!" they chant. Judging about how happy everyone is I bet we won.

Zach and I leave the field house after the small little party the team had. Dexter runs up to me and hugs me followed by Tony and Dean.

"I didn't know that football was like this!" Dexter was very excited.

"So are we having a movie night?" I ask. "I feel like I deserved it."

"You bet." Dean answers.

After twenty minutes of arguing –mostly me and Dean- we finally decide to watch an action movie. The movie was kind of boring but they guys seemed to be really into it. I ended up falling asleep on the couch in between Zack and Dexter.

Mom had given me a little talk about my temper but she agreed that what happened was bull. She said that I was just like my dad and that made me feel really good about myself.

I felt someone pick me up but I don't care enough to tell them to put me down. They lay me down on my bed and pull the covers over me.

"Good night Dylan." Zach's voice was soft. I hear his mattress make noise as he lays down on it. I don't fall back asleep until I hear Zack's soft snores. 

📕📗📘📙

Authors Note:

This chapter was inspired by something that happened at one of my high school games. No it wasn't this dramatic but parents and players were kicked out the game. The referees were calling bad calls and the other team won. It sucked.

In really great news: I got internet at my house. This is the first time in over 7 years that I have lived in a home with internet. I am so excited y'all!!