Doua

It was daylight when Loretta opened her eyes, and she realised instantly she had missed something. Firstly, the room stunk of smoke and the fire had been scattered everywhere. There were pieces of broken furniture strewn around, and charred hand prints all over the yellow stone balcony.

Then there was the fact that she was tied to a pillar. Fear punched into her stomach as she struggled against the ropes. Her wrists ached for how tight she had been bound.

Had Akil and Bennou done this to her? They were nowhere to be seen. She called for Akil a few times, but there was no response, so she called for Bennou too. Her struggles became frantic. Neither of them were responding and reason began to debate what she saw. Why would they tie her up? And if they had, why had they left her alone?

She cried out for Akil again, louder this time. The pulling feeling in her gut that she usually felt when Akil went away from her wasn't present, and she began to fear the worst. There had been a fight of some sort while she was sleeping, that much was clear. What if it was possible for her to survive in the lamp after Akil had died? What if something happened to him? As angry as he made her, she did not wish him dead.

She was on the verge of truly hysterical tears when she felt sure that she could hear footsteps on the stairs in the distance. Her instinct told her to be silent, and as the footfall grew louder, she wiggled her way up into a standing position, carefully edging the rope over the ridges in the carvings on the column.

By the time Bennou's head popped around the corner, she was fully upright and had twisted her body around, ready to kick and defend herself as best she could.

Bennou did not expect to find her standing. He jumped with surprise.

"Loretta?" he asked warily, "Are you okay?"

"Do I look okay?" she blurted the words back at him in surprise.

He nodded, "Look, I know, I'm sorry we tied you up. But are you normal again?"

"You tied me up!?" she shrieked.

"Hey, hey, calm down, you were not right, don't you remember?"

Loretta growled at him, "Come here and untie me."

"But, don't you remember anything?" he asked again.

"Now!" she demanded. "And where is Akil?"

"He's down below, checking to see if he can tell how far they have gone," Bennou stepped across the room cautiously.

"They?"

"Yes, they," said Akil, appearing in the doorway. He strode across the room to Loretta and looked straight into her eyes. "Do you remember anything?" he asked.

"About why I am tied to a pillar and why this room is in a mess? No. Could one of you please untie me?"

Akil reached around her and began to work at the knots, while Bennou started to pack up their belongings in silence, he was far less inclined to speak in Akil's presence.

"Do you remember lying to me?" Akil asked under his breath, touching her arm where the Jin had kissed her. "Do you remember telling me that I could trust you?"

She shivered from the touch and looked up into his eyes, they were furious, and his brow was creased with anger. There was nothing she could say to him.

Once she was free they packed up their belongings and made their way out of the tower and down the pinnacle of rock to the desert. It was Bennou who finally told her the whole story of what had happened. Akil said nothing the entire time.

"So, is that normal?" she asked, rubbing her arm forlornly. She looked at Akil for an answer, but he remained silent. The only words he had spoken were to tell them that the three Jin had gone to ground nearby, likely because they were all wounded, and because they would follow them as soon as the light went.