Epilogue

Epilogue

“Hello, Billy.” Curtis sat on the brown blades of grass before the simple headstone. “It’s been a long time, I know, and I’m sorry I didn’t come sooner. I miss you,” he murmured softly. “I talked to my brother a few weeks back, and I’m starting to think Craig is a little smarter than we ever gave him credit for, but, uh, something he said bothered me.” He took a shuddering breath. “He said you blamed yourself when I went missing and— God, Bill, I can’t take that. I–”

“Curtis?”

A soft female voice sounded from behind him and slowly he turned to stand. “Mrs. Cole?”

“Oh, Curtis,” she cried her hands flying to her mouth. “Curtis Langston! It is you.” In an instant she crossed the distance between them and took him into her arms. “I have missed you so much, my boy.”

“Aunt Beth,” he choked, clinging to her much as he would his own mother. “I’m so sorry about Billy, Aunt Beth, if it could have been me—”

“Hush, Curtis, you have nothing to be sorry for.” She pulled back, her soft gray eyes washing him with a steady, motherly love which had never failed. “I love you so much, and I am so proud of everything you’ve done.”

He was quite beyond words as he buried his face upon her shoulder as he had so many times before as a little boy. For all intents and purposes Beth Cole had been as much a mother as he’d ever known. And for all that he’d seen and done as a soldier and sailor he’d never once cried, not even the day Billy had been shot, but today he sobbed. Right there on Billy’s grave he let five years of pent up anguish pour out. “I love you too, Aunt Beth, I should have come to see you so much sooner.”

“I understand.” She smiled a bit and reached to squeeze his hand as he pulled away. Gazing into her eyes he truly sensed she understood his need for time.

Curtis cleared his throat and reached into his pocket. “I have something for you.” Running his thumb across the medal he held it out to her. “Billy should have this, he earned it.”

“No, Curtis you earned this and you should keep it.” She curled his fingers around the small piece.

“But I—

“No arguments,” she scolded softly, a tear glistening at the corner of her eye. “Someday you may want to show this to your children, and then you can tell them how brave their Uncle Billy was. All right?”

Slowly he nodded squeezing his fist around the medal. “Aunt Beth,” he said on impulse, “about that, my wife and I have some news.”

“News?” She grinned, eyes twinkling. “Dare I venture a guess?”

“We’re going to have a baby.”

“Oh, Curtis!” She clasped her hands in excitement. “I am so very happy for you! I’ll have to get started sewing! Are you hoping for a boy or girl?”

“Well, Cadence doesn’t care, but I want a girl.”

“A girl,” she sighed, a twinkle in her eye. “Did you hear that Billy? I’m going to be a grandmother after all.”

“Yes, you are,” Curtis grinned. “Yes, you are.” Looking into her wise gray eyes, Curtis felt a deep sense he’d not experienced for a long time descend upon him.

Peace.

END