Episode 8

17

Walking through Sudarshan Villa's gates, Shravan wasn't sure how he should feel. He was officially here as the bearer of good news – Nandita Rai was going to be released from this place and could go home. But this news had already been communicated to her on the phone. He was here because she had asked to meet him before she left. Shravan didn't know what she wanted or what might have brought about the change of heart, and it was an unsettling feeling.

'Thank you for coming,' Nandita said to Shravan when he walked into the room where she had been waiting for him.

'I'm sorry I'm a little late,' Shravan said.

'Barely five minutes. That doesn't qualify as late in Mumbai,' she said with a smile. 'Please' – she gestured towards the sofas and chairs – 'have a seat. I don't think I can offer you anything, I'm afraid.'

It was on the tip of Shravan's tongue to tell her that this wasn't a social visit, so he wasn't expecting refreshments and she didn't have to play hostess, but he restrained himself.

'How are you?' Shravan asked, mostly because even a second of silence felt oppressively awkward.

'I'm looking forward to leaving. Thank you for managing that,' she said.

'I don't think I had much to do on that front, but I'm glad you'll be out of here.'

'You know what's been my epiphany after two weeks in police custody?'

'What?'

'That none of us really matter. I'm a mother, a wife, a friend, a doctor, a columnist, a radio show host. So many roles, so many functions, so many people and yet no one has really been affected by the fact that I'm not there.'

'I'm sure that's not true.'

'Oh it is, Shravan. That's actually why I wanted to talk to you here. I wanted to thank you for not giving up on me even when I behaved rudely with you. I've realized today that loyalty is a difficult thing to find. Often those whom you trust fail you while support can come from unexpected quarters. I know you're doing your job, but you're doing it well and I didn't make it easy for you, so I'd like to apologize for my past behaviour.'

'Please, this is not necessary.'

'It is, Shravan. Thank you for defending me. I'm not saying this for the heck of it. I really am grateful for what you're doing and what you've done for me. I still don't appreciate you going behind my back to Vikram or trying to declare me insane and incompetent. But I understand and deeply appreciate that you were trying to help me.'

'Can I ask you something?' Shravan asked tentatively.

'Of course. I think we've established I'll tell you everything.'

'Why did you do it?'

Nandita leaned back in her chair and stared at Shravan. 'I could tell you,' she said after a few moments. 'But will you understand?'

'I'll try,' Shravan promised.

'Do you know the Mahabharata?'

Shravan blinked. 'More or less, I guess,' he replied.

'Does that mean more less than more?' Nandita asked with a wry smile. 'Do you know the story of Ganga and Shantanu?'

Shravan furrowed his brow. 'They got married, right? And Bhishma was their son.'

Nandita shook her head. 'Let me tell you a story,' she said. 'Legend tells us that in the golden age, mortals were pure of heart and the earth was beautiful. So the gods not only revealed themselves to us, but they also lived among us. That was why King Shantanu, while hunting in a forest on the banks of the Ganga, saw the river in her womanly form. Struck by her celestial beauty, Shantanu fell to his knees and offered himself to her. He asked her to marry him and become queen of his land. She told the king to think about what he'd said and to return to this spot the next day if he really meant what he said. Shantanu promised he would and the following day, true to his word, he was at the banks of the river. Ganga appeared to him and again he asked her to be his queen. "O great king," Ganga said to him, "I'm no ordinary mortal woman that you marry and keep in your palace like a possession. I'm Ganga, who makes her own path, whether it's through the malleable plains or the unyielding rock of the Himalayas." Shantanu said, "That is why I'm asking you to be my queen. Fill my life, be my queen." Ganga told Shantanu she'd marry him if he promised never to question her. If he ever asked her why she was doing something, she'd leave him immediately. Shantanu agreed without thinking what he was surrendering to her. Time passed and soon Ganga's belly grew round as she became pregnant. There was jubilation in the kingdom for the queen was bearing Shantanu's heir. She gave birth to a beautiful boy, much to Shantanu's joy. Then, it happened. Shantanu saw her pick up her newborn son, walk out of the palace and drown the infant in the waters of the river Ganga.'