Chapter 3: The Castle

*The Next Morning - 9 a.m.*

Laura's POV:

My eyes shot open to the beeping of my alarm clock. I groaned and rubbed my eyes. I reached my arm over and slammed down on the off button. I let out a small yawn. My eyes traveled around my room. It was a bit darker than usual. Outside my glass balcony window, I saw clouds in the sky. It looks like a chance for rain today. Then I guess that means if I'm going to go to the woods, I better do it soon.

I pushed the covers away from me and stretched out a bit more. I slowly slid out of bed and onto the hard wood floor. I walked over to my closet to pick out an outfit for today. I pulled out a black and white stripped t-shirt. I also pulled out a black zip up, hoodie sweater. Just in case it does rain. I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans. I threw my new clothes on and tossed my pajamas into the hamper. I zipped up my sweater as I jogged down the stairs and into the kitchen. As I walked in, I saw my father sitting at the kitchen table with his glasses on reading the newspaper. He looked up from his read.

Dad: Morning gumdrop.

Laura: Morning.

I walked over to the counter and grabbed a banana off of the shelf. I unpeeled it and started biting into it.

Dad: Did you find anything new in those Wolf Boy documents?

I swallowed hard, thinking back to those articles.

Laura: Yea... I did.

All of what they said was a lie. At least that's what I think.

Dad: You never know what to expect out of The Wolf Boy. One second he's attacking someone, then the next, he's gone just like that.

I quietly sighed to myself and finished up my banana. I threw away my peel and walked to the kitchen entrance. I turned back to my father.

Laura: I'm gonna go out for a while.

Dad: *looks up* Where to?

Laura: Just, gonna take a walk. 'she lies'

Dad: Okay. Don't stay out too long. It may rain.

Laura: If it rains, can I just go to grandma's house?

My grandmother lived pretty much down the street from us. I liked to visit her sometimes. She's nice company.

Dad: I suppose so.

Laura: Thanks.

And with that, I left the kitchen and walked over to my front door. I grabbed my converse and slipped them on. I stood up straight and put my hand on the doorknob. I pulled it open and stepped outside. The air was breezy, yet humid. I started to walk down the street in the direction of the woods. I needed to be cautious about who's around. I can't have people noticing were I'm going. I don't want to get caught.

I made my way down the road, the turned a corner towards the woods. I looked behind me back at our small town. No one was in sight. It was quiet, like always. I turned back to face the woods. I took a deep breath, then silently slipped around a building and headed for it.

It had barbed wire surrounding it. I knelt down onto the grass and crawled on my stomach. I wiggled my body under the fence 'til I was fully through. When I successfully made it into the woods, I stood up straight once again and brushed myself off with my hands. I turned around and looked up.

Trees, trees, and more trees. I heard birds chirping, bugs buzzing, anything like that. This was all so different. I've never seen anything like this. It was all so... breathtaking. It was incredible. I already love this woods. I started to make my way through the tall weeds. I stepped around everything carefully. Every step I took, something either crunched, squashed, or rustled.