Chapter One: Misty

Chapter One: Misty

"Hey! Watch out!"

I snapped my head back just in time to catch a glimpse of white and black. I leaped backwards, the heels of my bare feet brushed violently against the pavement tearing dead skin away from my already exposed flesh. Gravity, my longtime nemesis, caught up to me next. Leaping at the opportunity, Madame Gravity ripped my feet from under me sending me hurdling to the sidewalk. I hit the ground with a light thud and rolled onto the grass of Mr. and Mrs. Evans front yard.

"Wow! At the risk of sounding like a huge jerk, that was kind of epic!" Someone giggled. I glared up at the culprit. A girl with long fiery red hair and big green eyes grinned down at me. She pressed her forearms onto the handlebars of her sleek black bike and jutted her chin out to me triumphantly. "The name's Misty. I'm new around these parts. What's your name?"

"Ellison." I grumbled dusting the dirt off my skirt. I paused to let out a heavy breath. It'd been two minutes and Misty had already managed to make one heck of an impression on me.

"Ellison like Allison with an 'e' instead of an 'a'. Very unique." She commented making a gun with her finger and shot it at me. I cleared my throat.

"So, where are you from Misty?" I asked sweetly. I pulled myself to my feet and tried my best to shoot her a convincing smile. "Judging by your accent I'd say somewhere up north."

"Ohio!" She gasped. "Wow, that's impressive. I've been practicing my Southern accent all day."

"Needs a little more work." I chuckled. "But you're gettin' there. The Country Twang is the only thing missin'."

"And gettin' lazy and leavin' the g's off the end of my words." She said wrinkling her nose. "That's so exhausting, how do you guys do it? It's like you combine all of your words. Like, instead of saying 'you all' you say 'y'all'. That's so ridiculous!"

"Right?" I chuckled. Despite nearly running me down, she was really winning me over. I loved the way she could so easily speak her mind and not care about who she offended. I guess I kind of was envious of that quality. Out of reflex, I reached for my necklace and started twirling it in my hands. Misty cocked her head off to one side and stared at me curiously. Her bright orange hair flopped entirely over her right eye as she pursed her lips at me.

"Is that a dream catcher necklace?" I couldn't figure out the emotion behind her words. My brain blanked in a panic. I couldn't find my voice so instead, I let my mouth awkwardly hang open. Misty pushed down on the kickstand and lifted herself off her bike. She walked casually over to me and plucked the necklace from my grip to further examine it. "Well, well. Looks like we had more in common than I thought! You're a River Wolfe fan, aren't you?" My heart locked up in my chest. I couldn't gather my words fast enough. She let the necklace drop around my neck and straitened her back. A twisted smile curved around her already chapped lips. "Well?" She asked.

"Y-yes." I choked. "I l-love R-River."

"Well, obvious." She chuckled. "Look at you, you can barely speak at the mere sound of his name, bless you heart. So, kid. What's your favorite thing about River? Oh, his hair? I love it! It's so perfect. Messy, but not too much. Glossy, but not in a gross greasy way. No! I got it! You're more of an eye person, aren't you? And his I could stare at for the rest of my life and be happy! Beautiful sea foam green eyes. Ugh! I could die!"

"I-I like his heart. I love how close he is with his family and how he tries to just make his fans happy. He hasn't lost himself. He's still him."