Chapter 2: The History of Thorelind

Emma told Daisy everything that happened in the meeting with their boss and Mr Croft, careful not to leave out any detail. Daisy being the best friend she was, agreed that that was ten times better than going to a bar.

        A month had gone by and Emma found that she was healing from the break-up just fine. Colin did not text or call her and she was not the least bit tempted to do the same, to Daisy’s delight. She kept in touch with Mr Croft letting him know that she made sure to add his discovery to the Docent’s lecture at the museum. She also informed him about the banquet presentation that was planned in honor of him and her parents.

        After spending nearly five hours in her tiny office - not even counting the days at home - thinking about what to say at the presentation, Emma stepped out to get some fresh air. Immediately she searched for Daisy and found her on the shipping docks in the back of the museum recieving  Russian artifacts.

        The docks were always noisy with the sound of trucks beeping as they backed up slowly, sweaty men using every swear word in the book while yelling in all directions. It was so loud Emma always covered her ears.

        Daisy was in the middle of talking to one of the delivery driver’s who seemed more into her than what she had to say. But, who could blame him, Daisy was hot. Her chestnut colored hair was pulled back into a bun slowing off her impeccable green eyes. She had a deep creamy white skin tone that was enhanced by her natural rosy cheeks.

        The driver handed Daisy a clipboard and she jotted down her signature before handing it back. Emma saw the driver mouthed bye and Daisy turned and walked away. The driver, like any other man, eyes lingered on the back of her best friend as she walked.

        Emma waved Daisy over.

        “That guy was checking you out.” Emma said with a smile.

        “Ugh,” Daisy groaned while rolling her eyes. “You don’t know just how foul that man’s breath was. I almost threw up in my mouth.”

        “Ew.”

        “Tell me about it,” They laughed and walked into the museum. “What’s going on?” Daisy asked Emma.

        Emma shrugged. “I’ve been hauled up in my office all day trying to figure out what to say at the presentation tonight. I thought that maybe I could write the speech down. It’s been a month later and I got zip.”

        “Don’t worry Em, just speak from the heart. I’m sure something is bound to come to mind.”

        Emma believed her, as she knew the best speeches always came from the top of the head. Whatever she decided to say, it would come straight from the heart.

        “Lunch?” Emma offered, although she wasn’t hungry.

        “Yes,” Daisy said forcibly. “After spending four hours telling those brainless idiots where to put boxes and not to throw them has gotten me starving.”

        The girls ate their lunch on a bench directly in front of the Kingdom of Thorelind exhibit. A stage was being built in front of it but they were still able to see everything clearly. Daisy chowed down on a ham sandwich and chips while Emma tried to enjoy her granola bar and apple. Not a well balanced lunch but she was just not in the mood to eat. They watched and listened to the docent educate her tour group about the great kingdom.

        “Here lies one of the greatest discoveries in history,” The docent said in her bubbly british accent, her group seemed more than eager to listen. “This is the Kingdom of Thorelind. Believed to be nothing but a myth, as many explorers and treasure hunters went in search for the kingdom, it was most notably discovered by famous Archaeologists Keenan and Larissa Morgan. They found the once great kingdom in ruins. But, despite the castle itself being torn apart they were able to recover precious artifacts like you see here.