Social Engineer - Chapter 3

Eight Weeks Ago

“An animal rights protestor?” Leroy scoffed. “Are you serious?”

Brody considered his best friend’s question, ignoring his laughter.

“What’s not to like? Look at her. She’s gorgeous!” Brody pointed at his computer screen. The dating site profile for Mel Beaufils filled the screen; her photo front and centre. She had wavy blonde hair and large twinkling green eyes set off by raised eyebrows and an effortless smile, suggesting she had a secret to share. Brody had been intrigued from the moment he’d first viewed her picture, just over a week ago. Through the site, he’d contacted her immediately and, after some emails back and forth, he was now just an hour away from their first date.

“She’s not bad,” commented Leroy, tilting his head to one side. “A bit too womanly for me.”

“That’s because this is a straight dating site, you fool. Anyway, you’ve got Danny.”

Leroy and Danny had been an item for many years.

“So, who are you going to be tonight? Brody the cinematographer? Brody the stuntman? Brody the circus clown? Obviously not Brody the computer hacker.”

“I’m not sure what I registered as on this site. Hold on a sec, let’s check my story.” Brody clicked on a link that brought up his own profile. “Ah, now I remember. Tonight Leroy, I’m Brody the location scout.”

“Not bad. Easy enough to blag, especially with the amount of movies you watch. Plus you can justify being out of the country for months on end.”

“And if you look at my profile, being out of the country so much is the reason I claim to be using a dating site. Just looking for some intelligent company for those rare occasions I’m back in the UK.”

“So why is this Mel on the dating site?”

“She says she wants to find an escape from the drudgery of her normal life. She’s a nurse in an elderly care home. And on top of that she does loads of charity work as well as being an animal rights campaigner.”

“And so she’s chosen you? A boring white man. Not very exotic.”

“What?  So I presume your answer to drudgery is to fuck a black guy.”

“Once you’ve gone black, you never go back,” trilled Leroy, momentarily putting on his coyest, campest voice and fluttering his eyelashes. Then regular Leroy returned. “Take Danny. He can’t get enough of me, even after four years.”

Brody shook his head and raised his eyes upwards as if seeking divine intervention.

“Where are you taking her? Bromptons?”

“Of course.”