Chapter Twenty-six

Emily spent the next few weeks hanging out with Keith at school when she could. At first, she was still uncomfortable with the response she got from some of Keith’s girl friends, but she reminded herself that Keith loved her and that he chose her over all of them. Of course, it helped that Keith was open about his feelings towards her and also, since he had so many friends, it was normal to have some of them that didn’t like Keith being attached to someone else besides them. 

She was able to speak her mind even among Keith’s basketball mates and joke with them. Initially, they were all teasing towards Keith but painfully polite towards her, but then later they would tease her too and were frank and honest in the opinions that they voiced out. Emily didn’t only spend time with Keith, though. She managed to make at least one new friend for each lesson so she wasn’t alone during classes anymore. She was still a long way from being the most popular girl in school, and she definitely did not want to get there, but she was more friendly and sociable. 

While she was becoming more open and approachable, and her social circle was expanding slowly and steadily, her relationship with Keith was also growing. They would spend time after school in the library studying before heading home together, sometimes stopping by the ice cream store or the bookstore at the shopping mall. They would do most things that couples did, yet something was lacking. She hadn’t told him that she loved him. In the beginning, she hadn’t been sure, but now she was more certain of her feelings towards him. Despite not telling him explicitly, their romance had blossomed nonetheless, which showed Emily that actions spoke louder than words. 

At times, Emily thought she would slip and admit her feelings, and at those times, she would notice Keith inhale in anticipation, as though he knew what she was going to say. Then, when she changed her phrasing, he would relax and exhale, but he didn’t push her or look disappointed. She knew that he knew, anyway. But it was still clearer to say it out loud. 

So lately Emily had been trying to find the appropriate time to tell him how she felt. It was harder than she had imagined. She didn’t want to ask Katy for help, so she had to find a way by herself. How was she going to tell him? Surely she couldn’t just blurt it out awkwardly or casually mention it as though it didn’t mean anything. 

It was a lazy afternoon and Emily sat in her living room, flipping through the channels on television. Deciding that there was nothing interesting, she switched it off and headed to the kitchen to pour a cup of apple juice for herself. She looked out the kitchen window, into the backyard and suddenly felt like walking out there barefoot, to feel the grass under her feet. She smiled and finished her juice, then washed the cup. 

“Em,” Katy said as she entered the kitchen. Emily turned to face her. “Your hair’s a mess.” Emily rolled her eyes. Katy took a popsicle from the fridge then left. 

How was she going to tell Keith? And why was it such a struggle to put it into words? Emily groaned. 

“Em,” Katy said again and Emily didn’t bother to turn around, keeping her gaze on the green grass outside. “It’s for you,” Katy said and Emily felt her leave. Emily turned around and saw her phone had been left on the island, vibrating. 

“Hello?” Emily yawned. 

“Em,” Keith’s panicked voice sounded through the phone.

“Keith,” Emily exclaimed and stood up straight. “What is it?”

“Kim is having a fever. My parents are out and aren’t picking up their phone. Could you come over?”

“Sure,” Emily agreed, then hung up. “I’m going over to Keith’s,” she called out while putting on her shoes.