08

He stands, taking slow, paced steps toward me

"You. My young, beautiful, virile new queen. The person who will keep my bed warm at night and give me something to play with." He stops just inches away from me, and I crane my neck to stare at him. "Stand."

I'm frozen for an instant before I can get my gears moving again. Shakily, I manage to haul myself to my feet and stare into his eyes. He still towers over me, and I suddenly feel like a tiny speck of dust in the wind. God, he's gorgeous.

He smiles wider and twirls his finger. "Spin."

I nod and turn around, relieved to not have to face his eyes for a few brief seconds. His cool fingers brush against the skin of my back, making me jump. They slide up the length of my spine, chilling my flesh and making me shiver inside myself.

"You have flawless skin, Amelia." His fingers find the buttons at the neck of my dress. "I'd love to see the rest of it."

Slowly, carefully, he undoes each of the small buttons, pulling them apart and letting the dress slide down my body. I'm trembling now, my breath barely audible in the silent carriage. I don't want him to do this, to get so close to me and touch me so intimately. But I don't dare think of what would happen if I pulled away.

He unhooks the final button and the front of my dress falls away. I fight the urge to cover my chest with my hands, still terrified that any wrong move with piss him off. I'm suddenly cold, and I look down to see my body reacting to the sudden cold. My breasts, the same soft tan as the rest of me, are dotted with goosebumps and are flushed red. My nipples have tightened almost painfully.

"Spin."

I turn quickly, aiming my eye s down to the floor. I can't look at him while I'm standing here half naked.

Smiling at me, he sighs quietly. "Oh, Amelia. How lovely you are."

He traces my collarbone with one long finger, making me shiver.

"And so responsive." He grins.

His icy hands move down to my breasts. He cups them in his palms, making my breath hitch. I don't want to feel it, but tiny sparks of pleasure radiate out from my nipples when he pressed his thumbs against them. I understand why he's call the great Tempter and the Wicked One. He's definitely tempting and extremely dark. I have to hold my breath for a moment to regain my senses.

I stare at his hands, watching as he rolls and molds my breasts with his icy fingers. As big as his hands are, they're not quite able to fully contain my chest. It's the one thing my mother's blessed me with. They're not ridiculously huge, but enough to make me the center of attention with guys when I got out with friends. They're the center of my self-esteem, and I take pride in making sure they look damn good.

I watch his smile widen as he explores my body. "So warm and soft. For a human, you're impressive."

I bite my lip, fighting a growing ache in my belly that begs me to throw my arms around his neck and kiss him again.

His eyes meet mine again, shining with wicked delight. "I have something for you."

Oh, shit.

He reaches into the back pocket of his jeans, still grinning at me. He pulls his hand out, holding his fist palm up. Every scenario is running though my mind of what he has in his hand: a whip, a snake, a spider, a swarm of bees. I'm terrified to find out what he's got, but too curious to look away.

His palm opens, revealing not a swarm of hornets but a necklace. The chain is slender and as black as his wings. Small carved gems of red, black and cobalt extend downward, gradually growing in size until they reach the center. There, a breathtaking ruby, exquisitely carved in the image of a peacock, shines in the sunlight. It's incredible.

Oh. Oh, my God.

"It's lovely," I whisper. I'm lying; it's beyond beautiful.

His smile widens another inch. "Spin," he commands again.

I turn quickly, still mesmerized by that superb piece of jewelry. I watch as he brings the necklace around to my throat. The ruby hangs just about my cleavage, the smaller jewels glinting in the light. The metal is cool against my skin as he fastens it behinds my neck.

"One of the crown jewels of my kingdom," he whispers into my ear.

I raise my hand to my neck, racing the carving with my fingers. "Where did you get this?"

"Payment owed to me by Louis XVI. He wanted that little Austrian girl to solidify his status as king. There. Let me see."

I turn again, facing him head-on. Strangely, with this necklace, I feel strong and proud. I feel respected, loved and cherished. I feel safe, warm and admired. I'm beginning to feel like a queen.

He smiles again. "It's perfect."

He leans in and kisses me a second time, and for a second time, I feel out of control and overwhelmed. I fight the urge to throw him onto the seat and straddle him. Taking a deep breath, I let the kiss go on, allowing myself to enjoy the intimacy we now share. I know for him, using this much restraint must be torture.

He pulls away and smiles, brushing my cheek with his fingers. "Never take that off."

I shake my head staring into to his impossible eyes.

No. Never. I promise.

 I promise