Pieces of me

The minute Darlene opened the door, the boys burst in chiming their uncle’s name. “ onkle deyek, onkle deyek!” They ran in and piled on him. He chuckles, and even though he was still in pain managed to pick them up and put them in his lap. He tickles them playfully. “How are my two favorite nephews?” Darlene came into the living room where they were and scowled at them, reminding them that their uncle hasn’t recovered yet.

They each quickly retreated like sad little puppies, apologizing in unison. Derek chuckled and turned his head towards his sister. “Darlene, it’s okay really.” Darlene sighed and dropped her back on the table before sitting down and looked at her brother. He was still wearing his plaid flannel pajamas and his t-shirt with seven different flavors of stains. He was sitting in his wheel chair, his hands folded on his lap and his face looked like a blob stretching over his face, leaving only his mouth the only recognizable thing.

She swallowed hard tears that were threatening to wreck her composure. It’s just not fair she thought to herself as she blinked away the tears and dabbed her eyes. Of all the people this could happen to, it should not have been her brother. “So how have you been?” She cleared her throat after realizing that her voice sounded a bit shaken. Derek lowered his head, her silent tears, only reminds him that he is now a freak of nature, unbearable to look at. Did he really look that bad, to produce heart wrenching cries. Yes. The voice of the little girl who screamed and cried for her mother after seeing him was a testament to that. It was just after he was admitted out of the hospital. His sister convinced him that they should go out for ice-cream. They went into the ice-cream polar. He could hear the sounds of cars driving by, kids laughing and chatting, happily awaiting their ice-cream. There was a little girl with a short brown hair who went in to get ice-cream. She paid the money and hardly turned around to go to her mom. She bumped into Derek’s leg and looks up at him.

She creamed like a little girl who looked in the face of a monster! Derek remembers, hearing people murmur and feeling their stares pierce him like bullets from every direction. The mother came and pulled her daughter away. He felt like her wanted to run away, run and never come back. But he couldn’t, he was grounded to his wheel chair and no matter where he went, he would still look like this. Like a monster from every child’s nightmare. That is the feeling, he gets when he hears his sister’s stifled cries. “Darlene, I am fine, I don’t need your pity and I don’t need you!”

* * *

“C’mon, c’mon. “ Liz Chanted at the red light. She was running late again. The second the light turned green, her foot was on the gas. It seemed like she couldn’t drive fast enough. She finally pulls into the parking lot and hurries out of the car. She knocks on Mrs. Humphrey’s door, breathless now after the 5 flight of stairs. Old Mrs. Hampry opened the door and pursed her thin lips.

“You said 2:30. It is almost 4 now.” Mrs. Humphrey said glancing at her wrist watch only to emphasis her point.

“I know I am later, I am sorry. It was very busy down at the restaurant today and the traffic was –“Mrs. Humphrey put her frail bony hand up and cuts her off. Gracie slid from behind Mrs. Humphrey and clang to her aunt’s leg, her large brown eyes staring at Mrs. Humphrey.

“Look dear, I don’t mind helping you with Gracie, every now and then but... even I have my limits.”

Liz picks up Gracie and forced a smile at Mrs. Humphrey. “Thanks again for watching her.” Mrs. Humphrey did say anything; she simply went back inside and closed the door. “Bubai mishes hamphouy.” Gracie said with her tiny voice. That got a laugh from Liz. She tickled Gracie as they made their way next door to their apartment. She sighed, irritated as she turned the doorknob and found it unlocked. . “Alex!” She pushed it open and put Gracie down closed the door and locks it. She takes her coat and throws it on the couch. An angry Alex shows up in front of her. She crosses her arms over her chest.” What?” what. Liz has never hated the word as much as she did right now. “What do I always tell you? Never leave the door unlocked. What if a robber comes in here and robs us?”

“Pft like we have anything worth stealing” Alex snorted back.

“That isn’t the point Alex. You are putting everyone in danger by leaving the door unlocked.”

She looked at Alex and the look in her eyes told her that she has already stopped listening. In a defeated sigh she gives up and retreats into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and the empty shells reminded her that she needed to make yet another trip to the grocery store once more.  Gosh how much could three little girls eat? She closed it and looked around. “Alright girls, looks like we are having pizza tonight.”