▲ c h a p t e r o n e ▲

The lights flickered, and the walls shook a bit, making the sound of scratching metal shriek through the tiny silver box of an elevator. A few more shakes, more sounds of metal, and the lights went off completely. The elevator broke down while I was on it. And with all of these people, a tight squeeze, it was. There were definitely too many people on here, probably why it broke down.

I fell into my pessimistic ways and began stamping my heeled foot onto the metal floor, shaking my fists at my sides, “Seriously?! Is this some cheap horror film or something?!”

The cracking of an out-of-tune microphone came from above us all, “Please remain calm. We are working on the electrical shorting now.”

Groaning and complaints slipped the lips of everyone in the elevator. I heard a few people slide down the wall and sit, though I couldn’t see where I was, I decided to sit and wait as well, my feet were in terrible pain. Pressing my back against the cold metal wall, I slid down until I felt my bum hit the floor. I then stretched my legs out. Upon stretching my legs out I felt someone’s foot brush against mine.

“Excuse me,” A thick British accent apologized.

“Great,” I grunted. I’m stuck on the elevator with some brit, who probably won’t shut up, just for the sake of his accent.  I brought my hand to my forehead, rubbing it vigorously as I searched for thoughts and answers.  I opened my eyes to try and look around in the blinding dark, but it was hopeless. Within moments though, a bright white screen lit up the entire elevator, and holding it was a rather shy looking boy. He was a bit tanned, and extremely muscular. He had deep brown eyes, and a shaky, uneasy smile. Light brown, medium length hair, was swept across the very top of his forehead.

“Too bright?” He asked, his smile straightening, as he tilted the screen of his cell phone away.

I shook my head, no. He was only trying to help. I’m sure he didn’t mean to blind me. I looked around the elevator at the other people who were on there with me. He was seated next to a blonde boy, who sat silently, staring at nothing. He had thin lips, and almond shaped eyes. They were as blue as the oceans. He had darkened circles under his eyes, I assumed he was sleepy. Besides the two boys, that side of the elevator was empty.

On the back side of the dark, quiet elevator sat a girl, who had very light hair, it seemed to have an auburn tint to it. Her eyes were brown as well, and rimmed with smoky eye makeup.  She had pale pink lips that were curved into a slight frown. Though she wasn’t very happy looking, she was still pretty. She seemed to have a warm personality, though I knew nothing of her. And by the way she kept stealing glances from the corner of her eye at the boy who held the brightly lit cell phone; she had taken a fancy to him.

Tucked into the corner of that same wall was a tanned boy, with dark hair. He had a strong jaw line, and softly shaped eyes. His eye lashes were thick and dark, and rimmed his dark eyes. His hair was nicely styled into a quaff, and he kept his stare fixed at the ground. His lips were full, and a shade of pink, as well. They were fixed in a permanent smirk, as if it were a natural look for him. He was wearing edgy clothing, a leather jacket, and dark jeans. He seemed to have this mysterious vibe radiating from him.

On the wall that I was leaned onto there was a girl, who was rather close to me. I hadn’t even noticed that someone was sitting so near. She had bold purple hair, and large round, pale blue eyes. So light, they could’ve been mistaken for grey. She looked shorter than the other girl, but much taller than me. But, being taller than me didn’t say much. After all, I’m only 149 centimeters tall. She had a soft shaped face, round, and bright colored cheeks. Wide lips, that curled into a sneer expression. It was obvious she felt the same way I did about this whole situation.  She had a fairly slender body, her legs were long, and ended with her feet being tucked into a pair of blue velvet heels.