Chapter 22: High School Drama

·Grace's POV·

Every second of every hour during this week. That's how much time I spent thinking about Archer and the conversation we had. I need to let it all out, and I know exactly who to talk to.

"Girls, code GNH." I whispered. We were currently finishing having lunch at the cafeteria. And for your information, code GNH stands for code 'Grace Needs Help'.

"Bathroom, now." Toli whispered back.

"Boys, excuse us. We need to talk about girl stuff. Cramps, makeup and all those things you always try to avoid, you know?" Katie made up and excuse. I swear I saw Roland shiver as if Katie had just told them a horror story.

After checking there's no one in the bathroom, Katie asked:

"So, what's the deal?"

"Please, be as frank as possible. I know it sounds shocking, but Archer is trying to convince me that we do stand a chance as a couple. You know how I feel about him and those feelings are just increasing as the time goes by. What should I do about him? He's so... perfect for me."

"It does sound pretty impossible Grace. However, if you love him-"

"Whoa, hold your horses. That's such a strong word." I cut Toli mid sentence.

"As I was saying, if you like him, you might as well give the poor guy a shot. You've described him to us, his appearance and personality and let me tell you, he's a catch."

"I couldn't agree more. You two are like, meant for each other! Yeah, he's dead and all that but live a little. Better to risk and possibly get hurt than to play it safe and think about the what ifs. Most importantly, although it might sound cheesy it is a great advise: Follow your heart."

"And what if we get hurt?"

"Then at least you know you both have tried. Remember, love is the most powerful force. It can do miracles." Toli attempted to reassure me, side hugging me. We both know no miracle is capable of bringing Archer to life. But what Katie said before has made me see things in a different light. Maybe she's right.

"Now that we're talking about boys and all that, I also have something to tell you." Katie started a new topic.

Toli and I waited expectantly.

"Roland might have asked me out for prom..."

"NO WAY!"

"ABOUT TIME!" Toli and I spoke at the same time. "How did he do it?"

"Yesterday we were heading to art class and he wanted to show me his" 'latest work'. It turned out to be a blank canvas with the question 'Want to go to prom with me?' written in royal purple paint on it. When I turned around he was holding a bouquet of gardenias. I obviously said yes! "

"Our Rollie has always been so cute. Wouldn't have expected anything else from him now." I said.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Confusion written on Katie's face.

"He's been head over heels for you since freshman year! Roland would always try to find out your hobbies and preferences and look up information about them just to talk to you."

"Wow. How is it I've never noticed?"

"Too immersed in your thoughts."

"Shit. Well, better late than never."

Suddenly the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch time.

"Nice chat girls, thank you. See you later!" I part from the bathroom, bumping into someone as soon as I exited the place.

"I'm sorry, didn't know anyone was in front of the door."

"Don't worry G, I'll live." It was Scott.

"Oh, so you finally talk to me now?"

"I've been an asshole and I'm sorry. Your friend got on my nerves and I lost control.
It's just that I hate seeing you so snuggly with a boy who wasn't me, you know."

"Scott, you are one of my best friends. I wouldn't change you for the world, but try to calm down next time, 'cause there's probably going to be a next time."

His eyes lost all their twinkling after I finished my sentence. We were walking down the hallway and at the end of it, we had to part ways.

"I will G, trust me. Day by day, I'll make it up to you, just wait and see."

Without another word he left to the gym and I made my way to my Advanced Anatomy class. That was until someone gripped my forearm, pressing acrylic nails on my skin.

"Stay away from Scott, loser."

Ladies and gentlemen, every high school presents its different yet universal categories, such as jocks and bookworms. And don't forget about the popular girls, of course. We also have our personal queen bee, the backstabbing and hypocrite Lacy Williams - and she is standing in front of me right now. She is the head cheerleader, with her black straight hair and tanned skin. What a beautiful exterior for such a rotten personality.

"Why would I do that?"

And I'm not afraid of her, despite everyone else does.

"He'll be mine in no time and when he chooses me over your lame group, we'll be unstoppable."

"First of all Lacey, he won't choose you. Not every boy in this school is attracted to fake bitches. Secondly, I will do the hell I want because it's my life, not yours. And finally, don't you ever disrespect me or any of my friends again, understood?"

She was so dumbstruck she couldn't even speak. Lacey just stood there with her mouth and eyes wide open, just as if I was the first person to talk to her that way.

"I asked if you understood. I do not have all day."

She looked at me with so much distaste and hatred. It didn't affect me though. I waited, tapping my foot against the marble floor.

Lacey made a little 'Hmm' sound, pushed her hair back, turned around and left. So typical.

"Forget about her, she's just mean." A girl I didn't recognize talked to me.

"I can see that. It's so cliché."

"Totally!" She laughed at my choice of words. "Anyway, I'm a new exchange student, my name is Ella."

I shook her hand and answered:

"I'm Grace, nice to meet you."

"Nice indeed. What class were you heading to?"

"Anatomy."

"Me too! Let's go there together."

And that is how I made a new friend boys and girls.

                              ******

A.N: No Archer in this chapter, sorry. But we've met a new character! Ella may be important during the book, so keep an eye on her. See you next chapter!
Love,