20. Back To Reality

Author's Note: I'm updating early, as I won't be able to update on Wednesday.

Song for this Chapter: Dru's song ---Bad Day by Daniel Powter

Sean's song--Unfinished Business by Mumford & Sons

Dru waited until the last possible minute to enter her sociology class, and crept to the back row, but she didn't manage to escape the professor's notice.

"Ms. Scott, so glad you could join us," Dr. Grier drawled, and for the first time Dru wished she went to a giant anonymous university with lecture halls and TA's who didn't give a shit if the underclassmen skipped an entire week of lecture, instead of this small college where professors knew their students by name.

She tried to look appropriately contrite. It wasn't hard to do, with her gaze focused on Sean's back. He did not, as some of the other students, turn around to look at her, but his shoulder's tensed and then relaxed. The professor's displeasure was confined to the one line of sarcasm and then he began to lecture, and Dru's return was forgotten by everyone.

Except Sean.

Dru was surprised when his text flashed on her phone.

No need to avoid in class. Or around Lana.

She bit her lip. She'd played out hundreds of scenarios of how this might go, laying awake last night with Hearne's heavy limbs draped across her. Would Sean yell at her or spew cold venom? Would he call her out in public—call her a slut? Had he already told his dormmates about finding her in the woods with Hearne? Would she get looks and snears as she walked out of her first class back?

She doubted it.

Sean would probably behave the absolute best he could, under the circumstances. That's the kind of guy he was. And she had planned her response. She would remain cool, detached. She would have to be cruel to be kind, because if she opened the door to his smile, to his understanding, then this would start all over again.

So, she didn't answer the text. For all of about ten minutes.

Finally, she could stand it no longer. He was trying to make peace, and she couldn't stonewall him. In fact, she couldn't think of anything else but responding to him.

I'm really sorry, Sean.

His response was immediate.

I know.

Her fingers flew.

Can we meet for coffee? I want to explain.

She saw his shoulder's tense, as he read the text. He shook his head slightly, and Dru's insides plunged. After a couple of minutes, Sean picked up the phone, and typed a quick response.

One on one is not a good idea. No explanation required. You already told me—you make bad decisions.

It shouldn't have stung. Her eyes shouldn't have swarmed with tears. He was absolutely right. She had gone from his arms, to being on her knees in front of Hearne in a matter of two hours. After she had promised specifically not to do that very thing.

She hadn't trusted how right it felt, to be close to Sean. She had heard uncertainty and caution in his words after she cracked the wall in her dorm—and who wouldn't have been freaked out by that?—but instead of regrouping, instead of being brave, instead of having faith that something could be good between them, she had done what she always did—she let her fear run her and sought the easy way out.