twenty three: getting to know you.

"What?" Jake says, his eyes glued to the road ahead of him. 

"I thought you killed her!!"  I screech at Nicole. I'm getting partial motion sickness, partial I-can't-believe-that-bitch-is-still-alive sickness.

Nicole looks just as flabbergasted as I do. "I-I did!" 

Jacob has the decency to take his eyes off the road and turn around to look at Hayden. I could shoot him for doing that, because as he does the car swerves to the right. "What the fuck." He says, a smile starting to work its way on his face. "Fucking zombies? They're sending fucking zombies after us, Matt." He laughs and then Matthew laughs. At that moment, I could shoot both of them. This is no laughing matter! 

"Jake!" I yell at him. 

"Seriously, Karm, stop freaking out. We'll lose em. Matt-"

"I'm already ahead of you, J.J" Matthew says from the back. I look back at him and he's already loading one of those big, thick guns that he showed us in Jake's room. Valencia is loading a handgun.

Simultaneously, they both stick half their bodies out of the window and start shooting at Hayden. She begins to swerve, and then Jacob makes a sharp left turn that smashes me up against the door. "Sorry, Karm." He mumbles and checks his rear view mirror. "The bitch can't even drive. They sent an amateur driving zombie after me? I'm so offended." 

I rub my arm, which is definitely going to bruise later. Sure, I may be superhuman now, but that doens't mean anything hurts any less. At least, not for me. "Jake, stop fucking joking around right now!!" I screech at him, mostly because I'm scared out of my mind. I have no idea where we're going, its the middle of the night, and Matthew and Val are shooting freaking guns. And I don't know how on earth Jake's planning to get Hayden off of his trail. And I don't know how Hayden is even still alive. It's not like Nicole's any help, either. She's in the back, frozen in fear.

I swear to God, as soon as one thing happens, I don't even have time to think about it long enough because I just get hit with more crap.

I put a hand on my stomach, trying to keep myself from hurling when Jacob makes another sharp turn. I tumble over onto him as much as I can with my seatbelt restraining me, and he nudges me off. "Guys, you think you can get her front tires?" He says to Matthew and Val. "I've got an idea."

He swerves around all crazily, and I close my eyes. It's just better this way. Because I swear, in a split second I'm going to lose it. My hand clutches the armrest tightly, holding on for dear life. The next few things they all mumble to each other sounds incoherent in my ear.

I open them again once my stomach calms down just as Jake makes a sharp twist and the car that Hayden's in twists as well, and something seems go wrong and it begins flipping over. The cars that were following her stop abruptly, and I see some people running out towards it just before it explodes in flames. I don't get a chance to see what happens after that, because we don't stop moving.

Val and Matt return to their seats like nothing happened.

--

I don't know how long we were driving for, but I know that I eventually fell asleep. When I wake up, I'm in nothing but a shirt and some panties in a hotel bed. A cold hotel bed. I examine myself and sure enough, there are bruises on my arm from when I rammed into the car door. Other than that I'm fine. I squint my eyes, trying to adjust to what feels like harsh lights, but its probably just my senses acting up again. The shirt I'm wearing is red, but it smells very intensely like Jacob. He is nowhere to be found.

The hotel room is nothing fancy, just a basic one with one large bed, a small "kitchen" area, a couch and t.v and a bathroom. I creak out of the bed and go into the restroom to take care of business. There's a fresh toothbrush still in its case and a tube of toothpaste already waiting for me.