Chapter 4

Keith P.O.V

I screamed. How could I kill them? How could they be dead? Someone rushed into the room, shouting at me to calm down. I stopped thrashing and screaming, my eyes landing on Lance. His blue eyes searched mine and I tensed.

"Get out," I growled, taking him by surprise.

"What? You just woke up screaming like a loony and you want me-"

"Get out!" I yelled, pushing him away. I watched with horror as Lance's head hit the wall with a sickening crunch. I crawled towards him, "L-Lance?" I looked at him, and panicked. No. Nononononononono! He's not dead. He's not dead. He's not dead. I searched for a pulse and found a weak one, and I exhaled. I picked him up and brought him to the med bay, laying him in the healing pod I was just in. I prayed I wouldn't need to get Allura or Coran to activate the cycle, and when it hissed I breathed a sigh of relief. I gave him one last look of regret before returning to my room. I exhaled forcefully, trying to calm my frayed nerves. I hurt Pidge and now Lance. What if I hurt the rest of my family? I can't let that nightmare come true.

I headed to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I checked my body, searching for any of the purple fur I saw in my nightmare. I sobbed as my eyes landed on my stomach. A purple splotch was weaving its way up my stomach, I touched the fur to make sure I wasn't asleep. It was soft. I put on a shirt and sat on my bed, taking deep breaths. I looked at the time, it was 4:38 in the morning. Shiro would be waking soon. I sighed, putting on my red jacket and heading to the training deck. I have to act normal, I can't let them get suspicious.

"Start training simulation, level one," I called, readying myself.

"Level 25, stage 15," The castle sounded. I wiped the sweat off my brow, it felt good to train again. A dummy dropped down, charging at me. I took my stance, ready to fight. It wielded a knife, slashing at me. I froze, memories of the guards crashing into each other. The dummy picked me up, dangling me off the ground.

"P-Please, l-let go," I pleaded, tears streaming down my face.

"End simulation!" Someone shouted. The dummy disintegrated and I fell, crying quietly on the ground.

"Keith! Are you alright?" Shiro asked, rushing over to me.

"I-I'm-"

"Don't you dare say "fine" because you are far from it," Shiro gave me a knowing look, making me look away.

"I-It just reminded me o-of something the Galra did to me, n-nothing more," I mumbled, wiping my tears as I stand. I started walking, but Shiro grabbed my wrist. I flinched, trying to get away, but he held on tighter.

"L-Let go!" I yelled, my voice rising panic.

"Not until you tell me what's going on," Shiro said, holding my wrist tighter.

"P-Please! L-Let me go!" I cried, wrenching my wrist from his grip. I fell to the ground and scrambled down the hall, Shiro yelling behind me. I hop down the zip line to the docking bay, knowing that Shiro can get into my room with his passcode. I run over to red and she lowers her head, allowing me inside the cockpit.

"Keith! Keith, get down here!" Shiro yells from the comms. I paced the cockpit, taking deep breaths. A sharp pain cuts through my head, making my breath hitch. I double over, clutching my head. Everything is loud. So loud. Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! I stagger out the lion, falling to my knees. I clutch my head, my ears ringing as I get up. I lean on the wall, walking back to the paladins. My vision gets blurry and my stomach churns as I empty it on the ground. I slide down the wall, falling into a deep sleep.

Shiro P.O.V

Why did he run? I check the camera feed on the Castle of Lions, watching as the red lion opens up and a shaken Keith falls out. He staggers out of the bay and I follow him on the cameras. I watch as he throws up, leaving a puddle of blood on the floor.

"Coran! Go to the east corridor, Keith needs help!" I broadcast, watching as he rushes to where I told him to go. He picks him up and brings him to the med bay, and I meet up with them the bay. I look around and my eyes land on an occupied healing pod. I step towards it and see Lance sleeping peacefully.

"Who put you here?" I wondered aloud.

"Shiro, we're here," Coran calls, setting Keith in the pod.

"Hey, do you know what happened to Lance?" I pointed at the other pod that was holding the obnoxious blue paladin.

"No, I didn't even know he was in here," Coran twisted his mustache as he looked at Lance. I looked at Keith and frowned, wondering what had happened to him in a matter of minutes. The pods hissed open, surprising both Coran and I. Keith fell into my arms, Lance into Coran's.

"Are you guys okay?" I looked between Keith and Lance, waiting for them to get their bearings.

"Yeah," Lance shook his head, his eyes landing on the waking Keith, "G-Get him away from me."

"Huh?" I asked confused. Keith stirred and opened his eyes, staring straight at me.

"L-Let me go! Let me go!" He struggled against my arms.

"Keith! Keith, calm down!" I yelled making him wince.

"Keith is the reason I was in the healing pod," I listened to Lance while wrestling with Keith, "He was screaming in his sleep and when I went to check on him he knocked me out."

"What?" Keith's elbow connected with my jaw, making me drop him. He backed into the corner, violently shaking.

"Keith? Keith, I need you to calm down," I started towards him, and he snapped his eyes to me.

"L-Leave me alone!" He yelled, clutching his head. He fell to the ground, screaming in pain.

"Keith! Keith, what's wrong!" I yelled, rushing over.

"What's wrong is that he tried to kill me!" Lance yelled. Keith screamed, bending over as he covered his ears. I looked around, grabbing a pen and paper, heading back over to him.

What's wrong? I wrote. Keith looked up, shakily grabbing the pen, It's too loud! Shut up! Shut up! I covered Lance's mouth, ceasing his yells of complaint.

"It's too loud, we're scaring him," I whisper, making Keith whimper in pain. Stop talking, I wrote. Lance huffed but kept quiet. I look back over to Keith, he was rocking back and forth clutching his head in pain.

Is it quiet now? I wrote, letting Keith see the paper. He gave a small nod, slowly uncovering his ears. Did you hurt Lance? I watched as his eyes were glassy as he took the pen, Accident, I'm sorry Lance. He looked up to see Lance give him a curt nod before leaving the med bay. Keith got up, swaying slightly as he left.

I sighed, What's happening to him?