chapter 2

When I left the room, I began searching for a place I could think about this, without any disruptions. Eventually I settled down in a small room that was equipped with chairs like that in a movie theater, and a obnoxiously large television. I grabbed a movie, since I needed an excuse to be here if anyone came.

I put the thin silver disc in the DVD player, being careful not to break it. I was in a seat in the back of the room, only an eighth of a second later. As the movie began playing, my mind was on something else entirely. I began to wonder about what Aro's intentions were. To bring justice? Or is this just a way for him to gain power?

Lately I have found myself questioning many of Aro's decisions, but he continues to reassure me its all necessary to keep the secret. Many of these punishments we bestowed on the supposed "lawbreakers" were revenge from Aro.

That was what had happened with the Cullens, almost. They really didn't break a law, but Aro was going to use him as an excuse to kill them anyway. I was glad he Didn't. I guess Aro just doesn't play well with others.

That made me start laughing, but I shut my mouth when I realized that would make someone come investigate. That was the last thing I wanted right now- to be around others.

Soon, my thoughts became serious again. What if I could live my life another way? What if it wasn't a constant murder spree of the often innocent? But the real question was the one I couldn't answer. Would I, could I leave the Volturi? Or would Aro simply murder me for trying, like his own sister, Didyme.

I sighed, we were practically Aro's prisoners. The fantasies of a life away from the

Volturi were in my head and they werent leaving anytime soon, so I might as well embrace them.

Could I adopt one day, like Carlisle and Esme? Or could I have a coven of my own? I

Certainly could not venture away from here without my dear brother. I loved him more than anything. "Stop!" I mentally scolded myself.

I musnt think of such things, it would never happen. I sometimes wonder if Chelsea has all of us Bound to Aro, because I often felt an urge to do everything in my power to help the Volturi.

.......

I continued to think about leaving every day for months. I was in the main hallway with Caius and Alec, it was nearly deserted. So we stood there, practically gossiping, when Caius asked "Did you hear about the problem in California?"

"No, how bad is it?" Alec asked

"there is a newborn wreaking havoc near Sacramento," was he smiling at me? Why was he giving me these weird looks? "Aro says he intends to send you, Jane, along with Alec and Demetri."

"Great" I thought. I didn't particularly like Demetri. He was the only Volturi member who could truly ruin my escape, if it ever happened.

Oh my god!

My thoughts were cut off by Alec and Caius bidding goodbyes to me, though I did not pay attention to what they said.

Alec and I would be alone with Demetri! If we could destroy Demetri, Aro would never find us. This plan was genius, surely it would work! Unless Alec did not feel the same way. The panic struck me with immense force. If alec did not feel the same way, this could easily turn into a tragedy.

I tried to remember what Caius said...that's right! He said he was going hunting. So I searched through the scents still present to see that Heidi, Athenodora, Alec, and I were the only ones present.

I practically flew through the hallway, following Alec's scent. Along both walls of the hallway were portraits of all the Volturi. Aro's was nearly twice the size of the rest. I stopped to look at it. His midnight black hair was parted down the middle, and nearly fell to his shoulders. Although all vampires are supposedly beautiful, I did not think Aro was.

The picture next to us was of a stunning young woman, maybe 20 physically. She had the same color hair as Aro, but hers fell in ringlet curls around her pale face. She was very petite, all her feastures delacite. And unlike most of the others, she was smiling for her picture. This, of course, was Didyme.

I felt a sudden wave of sorrow wash over me. It was so horrible, she was truly a wonderful person. It also made me feel unexplainable rage toward Aro. How could he do this to his own sister? I had never really felt much emotion over the situation. But now, thousands of years later, it was affecting me.

I ruefully continued down the hallway to find Alec's scent lead me to one of many libraries. He was sitting in an armchair on the corner of the room, a humorous smile on his face while he shoo his head. He must have been reading another one of those vampire novels. We found great entretainment in human's pathetic ideas of our kind.

"Hello, Jane." He said, unaware of my panic. What was I going to say? I could barely think!

"Hello, Alec. I, Um...have to...need to speak with you about...something." I was seriously struggling for words here! Ugh! Vampires do not stutter! This is ridiculous.

"What is wrong,dear sister? I can tell something is troubling you. Are you okay?" He questioned frantically.

I couldn't believe I was about to endanger my brother like this. I am truly a hrrible person. "I'm...actually I'm not fine. I am not happy here, Brother. I am unpleased with Aro's decisions and I...I wish to leave." I Looked up at his face, awaiting a response.

Then, A look I defanitely was not expecting spread across his pale face. A look that stunned me speechless. If this meant what I thought it did...I just couldn't believe it.