Nowhere is Safe Part 2

Charlie found Elli's tent a few paces off the path. As he cracked another large branch, Charlie grimaced. Subtlety was something he would need to learn.

If he survived, that was.

A voice drifted through the tent flap, sounding scared and alone, "Who's there?" It was almost a whisper, it had come so timidly.

Charlie's voice was almost thunderous in comparison, "Good, you're awake. We need to get out righ-" Charlie was cut off by a wail that pierced through the night.

Elli quickly burst through the flap of the tent, almost head butting Charlie on the way through.

"Sorry," Elli began to say.

"No time for formality. We have to move now," Charlie said gruffly, taking Elli's hand and pulling her along the path.

The way down was almost painfully slow, but twisting an ankle on the rocky path would be almost as dangerous as being rushed by a dead one. The rustle of the underbrush made Charlie's breath catch, but exhaled shakily when an albino rabbit scampered across their path.

Guns blazed in the background as they pelted the last few feet, to the relative safety of the car. Charlie stopped short of ramming himself into the car, and forced the car door open, practically tossing Elli into the backseat. Slamming the door behind himself, he twisted the ignition, praying that it wouldn't stall again.

The car sputtered to life, earning itself a slap on the dashboard, and an exalted woot from Charlie. The car jerked forward, and they drove toward the road. The camp was in shambles, masses of dead ones attacking every survivor they could lay their hands on. They could do nothing but watch as one poor survivor was pulled out of the broken window of his car, where no amount of fighting could save him from the ravenous dead ones.

The car slowed immensely as it turned onto the road, where they were met with another horror. Mrs. Summers was brutally thrust against the car, the unexpected bump startling the passengers.

Tears streamed down her face, and she mouthed, "Help me!" The car pulled away before Elli could witness more. Two of the dead ripped her prying fingers from the car, and dragged her to the ground, tearing her apart as she lay screaming.

"We have to go back!" Elli screamed and gripped Lydia's shoulder, tight enough to cause pain. "Calm down sweetie, we can't go back. Look away, there's nothing we can change," Lydia said, her trembling hand brought up to hold Elli's.

"But ... But, we knew her ... She was our friend! We can't leave her!" Elli screamed uncontrollably, not soothed by Lydia's pseudo-calm voice.

"Elli, I'm going to lay it plain and simple. There is no going back. We both live and survive another day, or we go back and fight, ending ultimately with our deaths. All for those who have no hope for survival. You are in my car, and I'm going to keep you safe. Nothing else matters until I have you and Lydia safe, as best as I can manage. Got it?" Charlie's rumbling basso cuts through the tension, the gritted teeth all too similar to those that bit through the innocent flesh behind them.

Lydia's shoulders shook with silent sobs, gripping Elli's hand just as hard as Elli clutched to Lydia. Tears ventured down Elli's face, scouring clean lines. Grime and dirt fell mixed onto the floor with her tears. Her sobs were barely overshadowed by the mayhem that was receding into the background.

Charlie became stoic as a monolith, and moved even less. His hands barely shifted to steer. Thoughts whirred in his mind, repeatedly pounding his skull. Charlie hardly retained enough mental capacity to continue driving.

I could have saved her.

Charlie's hand tremors as the thought cycles through his mind.

I could have done more. But there wasn't any time, he reasoned with himself.