that's my girlfriend! (pt. 2)

gilbert tackled billy to the ground, a fire in his eyes that slightly scared y/n. she watched, speechless and terrified, as they wrestled in the snow. y/n knew she should probably do something, but her body froze up. it was as if she had been paralyzed.

her mouth had gone dry, and her eyes widened. finally, she swallowed hard, her voice finally coming back to her.

"gilbert, stop! get off him!" she cried. looking around, she realized everybody had crowded around the scene. ruby gillis was in hysterics, convinced gilbert would die. all the boys were watching in amazement.

"gilbert!" y/n tried again. despite her protests, gilbert's rage deafened him and he kept fighting billy. billy wasn't giving in either. suddenly, y/n ran up to gilbert and grabbed him by the shoulders, pulling him away. he fell on his back into the snow.

"gilbert blythe!" y/n exclaimed in disbelief. gilbert didn't look at her, but instead turned away and glared at billy, his jaw clenching furiously.

"girlfriend, eh?" billy asked, wincing as he touched his wound. gilbert didn't answer. "why anyone would want to date a crazed lunatic like you is a mystery for sure." billy added. gilbert got up and tried to tackle him again. and he would have, if y/n hadn't grabbed his arm and held on tight.

"we're leaving right now, gilbert!" she insisted through clenched teeth. a fuming gilbert turned around and stomped into the woods. y/n ran after him.

they walked in silence, gilbert shaking with rage.

"at least it's not a secret anymore." he muttered, wiping a trickle of blood from a cut on his cheek.

"gilbert, how could you do that? i am astounded at you!" y/n chided. gilbert didn't look at her, but his head drooped a little.

"how could i stand there and let him touch you like that?"

"i would've done something about it, gilbert. i'm no damsel in distress."

"i know that, y/n. but you need to let me protect you, especially from idiots like billy andrews. don't you understand watching that was torture for me? you're mine, y/n. i wouldn't be able to stand seeing you with someone else."

y/n sighed and gave up. there was no point in arguing. gilbert blythe was a passionate individual, no doubt about it.

"well, it certainly was an interesting way to reveal our little secret," y/n joked, laughing a little. gilbert smirked and shook his head at the ground.

"you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. i'm so unbelievably lucky, and i reserve the right to flaunt it." he stopped walking, and so did y/n. he took her hands in his, giving them a good squeeze.

"i'll always protect you, y/n. i promise. i don't care how bad i get beaten up. that doesn't matter at all, as long as i can still call you mine." he whispered, gazing lovingly into y/n's eyes. she felt the sting of tears in her eyes, and quickly tried to blink them away.

"are you crying?" gilbert asked softly, placing a gently hand on her cheek. y/n smiled and shook her head. she was afraid that if she opened her mouth to talk, she'd start bawling.

but gilbert saw straight through her. with a sympathetic sigh, he pulled her close. y/n felt a wave of relief as she felt his arms wrap around her in a tight embrace. no matter how hard she tried, the tears didn't go away. so then they fell down her cheeks, and she sobbed and cried into his chest for what seemed like an eternity.

gilbert kissed the top of her head and held her tighter. "don't cry, y/n. everything's okay now."

she pulled away, wiping her tears and laughing a little. "i'm just overreacting. i'm sorry."

gilbert softly cupped her chin in his hands and lifted her head so that they were looking into each other's eyes. "don't be sorry. it's my job to make you feel safe and loved. okay?"

"thank you, gilbert... anyway, we should probably get you cleaned up."

"aww, you're worried about me," he teased, jutting out his bottom lip. y/n laughed and punched his shoulder.

"shut up, blythe."

***

hand in hand, they arrived at the blythe household.

y/n led gilbert to a chair and sat him down before finding things that could help clean his wounds. she ran a washcloth under water, and sat down on a chair next to gilbert.

she placed a gentle hand on his chin and turned his face toward hers.

"stay still, okay?" she ordered as she lifted the cloth to his cheek. gently, she pressed it against the wound. gilbert winced and let out a groan of pain.

"sorry!" she quickly apologized as gilbert clenched his eyes shut. he didn't answer, so she proceeded cleaning the cut, growing more anxious each time he winced.

"stop pressing so hard," he muttered.

"maybe next time you'll think before you turn into a rabid dog," y/n teased, laughing at her own joke. gilbert let out a chuckle.

"you owe me, you know."

"i owe you because you chose to do something i never asked you to do?"

"yup."

"you're the most unreasonable human being i've ever met, gilbert blythe."

"and you love me for it," he teased. "anyway, what are you going to give me in return?"

"nothing." she said with a raised eyebrow, placing the washcloth on his cut again.

"pleeease? this hurts!" gilbert whined. y/n sighed.

"it stings!" he added.

"i don't have anything to give you, gilbert, and you know tha-,"

he swooped down and kissed her lips before sitting back in the chair, staring smugly at a tomato-red y/n.

"now we're even." he smirked.

***

(a/n) wow i've been inactive jdjskd

also please give me ideas for imagines? i'm kinda running out atm lol