CHAPTER TWENTY

“Sam.” David moved back a step when I stopped near him. I felt Adam come up behind my elbow, but he remained quiet.

“Dad.” And I waited. Would he correct me?

He gave me a tight smile and I knew he wouldn’t. Instead he gestured towards the woman and Adam’s father. “Have you met my daughter? This is Samantha.”

The woman held out her arm and tried to melt me with her smile. “Hello, you’re so precious, so beautiful. Penelope.”

Adam’s father moved away from the woman and nodded. “Steven. I think we’ve met once.”

Adam spoke up, “No, dad. You didn’t formally meet her. We left the house early that day.”

“Oh yes, that’s right.” Then he turned to David. “David, what do you have planned for next week’s game? You think we’re going to pull out a win against Leers?”

David cleared his throat. “We’re going to try, that’s for certain.”

“Dad, don’t you guys have your annual football dinner tonight?”

He opened his mouth and stared at me. “Uh…”

“That’s right.” Penelope’s laugh rang out. “I was just talking to your father about that. He said he’s going to be alone tonight. Heavens, we can’t have that, can we?”

“Certainly not.” My jaw ached from how tight it was.

“Dad, you’re going with me, right?” Adam brushed against my elbow when he moved forward. He stood close to me and I felt his tension.

“Well, this sounds perfect. Father and son.” Penelope placed her hand on David’s arm this time. “Father and daughter. It’s almost romantic.”

I tilted my head to the side and removed her hand. “And no sluts…”

There was a choked silence for a second.

And then David rasped out, “Samantha!”

Adam barked out a laugh.

His father jerked back a step.

“What?” I turned towards David with wide eyes, innocent eyes.

“Apologize.”

“For what?” I eyed her up and down. “I call it how it is.”

She bristled, but kept her mouth shut.

I narrowed my eyes and waited. The anger was mounting in her. Her hands clenched. Her shoulders grew tight. Her cheeks inflamed and her eyes closed till they were almost slits.

I counted down in my head. 3…2…1…and…

“What a little bitch you have, David.” She leaned forward until her face was a few inches from mine.

I smirked and held steady. The Kades had taught me a few things.

She sucked in her breath and I knew her fury leapt higher. “I feel sorry for you, David, real sorry for you.”

“Hey, now.” He moved between us.

I sidestepped and never broke eye contact with her. “Are you bored with married men? Football coaches don’t make that much money, you know.”

She laughed harshly. “Private school coaches do.”

“Penelope.” Adam’s father took hold of her elbow.

Adam’s voice came out shrilly. “Hey dad, where’s mom? Didn’t you come with her?”

There was another brief moment of silence.