iii. if she floats then she's not a witch

Carrie Walsh slammed the front door of her house with all the fury she had been bottling up inside her, probably it was since she was sixteen years old.

Still on her dirty cheer uniform and each hand grabbing a pom pom (white one in her left hand and the red one in her right), Carrie went upstairs and stormed into her bedroom. Throwing both pom poms at the floor, she layed on her bed, face on her pillow, and screamed her heart out.

After hearing about the accident, officer Goode left her at the porch of her house and stormed out, without saying a word to Carrie. What if someone she knew was hurt?

Or worse, dead.

It was kind of irrational to be so mad at the situation, she knew she couldn't be there, or if she had the guts to face the situation, but the pit on her stomach let her know it was something bad.

A whole eternity later, or just five minutes according to the pink clock on the nightstand, Carrie stood up and looked at her reflection in the mirror.

Taking the white scrunchie from her messy hair, Carrie tilted her head to the mirror while grabbing the edges of her wavy hair. She scrunched up her nose when an idea crossed her mind. A smile reaching her bright eyes, and her parents disapproval made her bubble up with excitement.

Hitting the play button of the black radio that rested on her desk, Nirvana's latest album started playing. Carrie reached the album's case, admiring fondly at the little heart drawn with black nail polish and the letters C and S written inside of it.

Carrie rested the album and grabbed the silver scissors from the vanity.

Facing the mirror one more time, she cut her long blonde hair in precisely manner, right at the length of her shoulders.

Her dark roots made their appearance more notable, and the lack of blonde hair made The teenager seem like a brunette, but still, her makeover wasn't finished.

First thing after having leftover mac and cheese for Saturday's lunch, Carrie drove to Shadyside. She didn't wanted to meet any of her parents friends, so she decided to visit the other side of town.

Also Shadyside's supermarket had better prices, and better products, and the workers were good people, yeah, that's why.

Parking her car in front of the building, Carrie walked to the front door at a slow pace while her eyes wandered through the big windows, looking for a certain type of hair.

Sighing when she didn't saw the person she was looking for, she entered the supermarket and went directly to the hair dye section, which wasn't very large.

Carrie started wandering through the empty hallway,  examining each box and the color of the dye inside it. She could dye her hair pitch black, or go for a platinum blonde.

The teenager grabbed two boxes when she felt her name being called from behind her. She turned around and rose her eyebrows when she saw the blond boy walking to her.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" Simon asked her, a smile adorning his face. God, Carrie loved his smile, maybe too much for being her ex boyfriend.

She showed him the two boxes. "Deciding which one would cause a heart attack to my mother." They both giggled and Simon reached a box that was standing right next to Carrie's waist.

"You used to say hot pink was your favorite color." Carrie grabbed the box and smiled. "I think you would kill it."

"Hot pink it is." She turned around and put the boxes in the shelf.

Both of them walked to the front so she could buy it and finish with it. Simon grabbed the box and scanned it, then she gave it to Carrie.

"It's 3,99 and if you want you can dye it in the employee's bathroom."

"Isn't there more people in this shift?"

"Nah, nobody wants the Saturday afternoon shift."

"Oh, okay." Simon nodded with his head and started walking to the door behind the counter, Carrie followed him until they reached the small bathroom.

"It's not much but we have hot water, make yourself at home." Simon joked.

"How kind of you." Carrie laughed, she looked him at the eyes once again. "Thank you."

"No biggie." Simon shrugged it off, he grabbed the door knob and started closing the door. "By the way, short hair looks better on you."

Carrie watched how the door closed slowly and then opened the box, she started dying her hair without giving it too much thought.

Twenty minutes later, the bathroom door was knocked and Carrie opened it, showing her damp hair in a bun, waiting to be rinsed. Simon offered her an Oreo and she gladly took it.

"How is it going?"

Carrie swallowed the cookie and smiled "Loving this costumer service. I have to rinse it in half an hour." Simon nodded at her. "Hey, uhm, I heard there was an accident yesterday...?"

"Oh that, yeah, how lucky Sam didn't got any worse."

"Sam?" Carrie practically yelled, eyes opened like orbits and heartbeat so fast it could escape her chest.

"Yeah, the car she was in crashes last night."

"Where is she?"

"The hospital half way..."

"Got it, thank you Simon." Carrie gave his shoulder a squeeze and exited the bathroom so later she could leave the building and drive to the hospital.

Carrie only had one thought, fuck Nick Goode.