Chapter 10

The news came in the afternoon.

There was a shootout in central park between a gang of armed robbers and NYPD officers. Peter saw the news through the televisions in the window of an electronics store. Somehow he knew Kraven wasn't behind it. Given how tame the hostage situation before had been Peter knew that this was different. This wasn't just bait. The danger was real.

But Peter knew Kraven would be there all the same, hunting the Spider.

That didn't stop him from going though. Peter had a plan this time. He looked at the bag he was holding and checked his web shooters. The modifications he had made to them previously seemed to be working fine, including the glowing bars that indicated how much web fluid he had left. With that he went into an alley and a few minutes later was swinging through New York as Spiderman. He wasn't going to let this Kraven guy hurt him or anyone else. That being said he had the strangest feeling that he had forgotten something.

But he couldn't worry about that now.

....

Kraven, meanwhile, saw the news cast from the hotel room and knew the Spider would be there. He shouldered his crossbow and spoke to Dmitri, who was reading the newspaper.

"Well Dmitri," said Sergei Kravenoff. "Are you ready?"

"I suppose," said Dmitri, putting the newspaper down. "But are you sure about this? I thought you preferred to work alone. Why do you need my help?"

"Good hunters use a pack," said Sergei. "Just remember who the alpha male is here and we'll be fine. Won't we?"

Sergei had that look that Dmitri remembered as a child. It was a look that said, 'agree with me or I'll break your legs.' As it was Dmitri's legs were aching a little.

"Fine," said Dmitri. "You're the boss."

"Good," said Sergei with a satisfied sigh.

As they left the hotel Dmitri couldn't help but think that he'd hate this. He still planned to try and capture the Spider on his own, but if he didn't assist Kraven in this it would look suspicious. Dmitri decided he needed to keep his motives hidden, so he would play along for now. He'd just have to make certain not to try his best at this.

He chuckled just a little. For this particular hunt he'd actually be rooting for the Spider.

"Did you say something?" asked Sergei, partially hearing the low chuckle.

"Nothing brother," said Dmitri with a subtle grin. "Nothing at all."

....

Central park was like a small forest. It was usually pretty quiet and peaceful, but today there was gunfire. The gang of shooters had fled into central park hoping to evade the cops, but they just couldn't seem to shake them.

Spiderman watched the scene from the top of a nearby building. He didn't see anyone, but he heard and saw gunfire in the trees below. He knew Kraven would be there, and in truth was the perfect place for an ambush. Amid skyscrapers Peter could just web to a tall building and swing away, like a bird flying out of reach of a predator, but down there all he could swing off of were the trees, and that wouldn't swing him out of Kraven's reach.

Peter took a deep breath and then, as Spiderman, swung down to catch the crooks below. He reached the area where the criminals were shooting back at police. The thwip sound from his web shooters caught the attention of the crooks, but Spiderman had accounted for that. He kept just out of sight. Then he would swoop in, spin a big web to catch the crooks attention, and then swing right in their mist to kick, punch, or otherwise throw one of the crooks into the web.