Chapter 3

"He grabbed my face into his hands and roughly pushed me up against the wall. I clung onto his broad, muscled shoulders..."

--

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Kate's yell of excitement.

"Oh. My. God!"

The door swung open as she came into our shared bedroom.

"Dear Kiara," she read sarcastically from a small piece of paper in her hands, "I am so sorry about last night. Can we meet up for coffee? Let me make it up to you. Love from, Callum."

The last three words made my heart jolt.

"Give me that," I shot up and tried to grab the card out of her hand. She ran into the kitchen, laughing.

I decided to hedge my bets and chased after her, clutching my sheet up to my chest.

As I stumbled into the kitchen I froze.

"Kate, what is that?" I could hear the amazement in my own voice.

In a small glass vase sitting on the counter, was a single blue lily. There was a silver string tied around the stem.

"They came with the card," she laughed as she saw my expression.

No one had bought me flowers before.

I had gone red. So many bodily reactions. Whoever this boy was, my body continued to betray me to him.

But he has a girlfriend. And he's not interested in you, I reminded myself. And he hasn't even had time to process his parents... 

But he wants to go for coffee?

I walked over and held the lily, I had never seen one so blue.

Kate was in hysterics. "I would climb that boy like a tree, but he's not interested in me - more power to ya sistah!"

There was a knock at the door. I pulled the sheet tight around me and mouthed to Kate 'who is it?'

Probably one of Kate's many friends, one of the swimmers wanting to go for a swim, or a writer on the paper wanting her to edit an article.

Kate mouthed back 'I don't know.'

"Who is it?" She called out.

There was a low pitched growl through the door, "Callum."

Ah. Already my heart was racing. I wasn't even wearing my nice lingerie under this sheet. I felt myself become aware of the sheet's cool touch to my bare skin. I was practically naked.

Kate, laughing hysterically opened the door. From shock I nearly dropped my slight cover.

Callum's skin seemed impossibly golden, his shirt especially tight. His right bicep pulsed with the big vein that ran down its centre. His jaw caught the shadows and his predatory brows were drawn in a frown. But once again it was the eyes, crystal blue, that got me.

For a moment, we both froze, the world froze. I felt like he was not just looking at me, but through me.

Kate began another round of laughter.

"Uh- uh-" I stammered. His expression became an awkward one too. He quickly faced away and he almost seemed like he was blushing. I definitely was.

"Kate!!!" I yelled as I ran back into the bedroom.

I heard Callum's deep tones ring through the dorm - "Baby, I just wanted some coffee." He was laughing too now.

Damn it Kate. I realised I was going to have to go out with Callum. Kate knew I had no plans today and he would insist on making up for his earlier violence.