Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Alice woke up to a cold, clear day. She dressed in warm clothing and told the household staff that she would be going into town to buy a pair of earrings for her wedding day, which would be the Sunday of next week.

She stopped by her sister's room before leaving.

"Good morning, Melody. How are you?" she asked, slipping on her gloves.

"Just fine, Alice," she replied weakly. Her voice was hollow, and she looked very close to death. Alice did not know if she would make it to the wedding day. "Where are you off to?"

"Town," she replied casually. "Would you like to come? The fresh air will certainly do you some good. And it is sunny outside!"

"Alice, I can barely lift my head without getting dizzy. But I will have you open the curtains for me..."

Alice was expecting the answer. She opened the heavy curtains and sunlight poured through, illuminating Melody's face. Alice watched as her face suddenly became bright, flushed, and healthy again, her cheeks plump, and her eyes sparkling. Alice was utterly shocked. She blinked, and all of a sudden Melody was sickly again. It had all happened in a flash. Alice did not know if it had been real or just her imagination.

"The sun," Melody murmured. "It is just so beautiful."

Alice stood silently by her bedside, the sun burning uncomfortably on her back.

"Well, sister, get to town," she sighed.

"All right. Be good." Alice kissed her cheek.

Melody gave a weak grin. "Couldn't be anything but."

Alice smiled at her sister, and left the room. She exited the manor, and walked to the courtyard where the ride to town was waiting.

"Good morning, miss," said Timothy, giving her a toothy grin. "Looking very fine today."

"That's what you always say, Timothy," Alice laughed, and allowed him to help her inside.

"Have a nice ride," he said, and shut the door.

She was occupied with her thoughts through the long journey to town. She stared out the window at the bleak landscape, and clouds started to roll in, blocking out the sun. Melody would not like that.

The driver, Thomas, stopped the coach, and hopped down to help her out. She took his hand graciously and looked about at the bustling town.

"What time shall you be back, miss?" he asked politely.

"In two hours' time," she replied, and walked off.

She stopped in the first jewelry store she saw: Heimann's. She entered it and it appeared to be quite empty, except for a man with a large bustling mustache behind the desk.

"Good morrow, miss. How may I help you?"

"Good morning," she replied. "I am searching for a pair of earrings for my wedding."

"Congratulations!" he boomed. "May I recommend a pair? What is the design of your gown?"

"It is silver," she said, taking a piece of fabric from her purse, and showing it to him.

They chatted and she tried on earrings, but none of them seemed right. She thanked the man and went on to the second store in town.

She found a beautiful pair of diamond earrings, and bought them from the saleslady; she was very careful not to touch the diamonds with her bare hands, for fear that the strange frost would return. 

The weather was getting colder. Alice gritted her teeth as the cold wind snapped at her cheeks. She decided to return early for she needed a cup of tea. She started walking down the bustling cobblestone road.

"Alice Tutmore!"

She whipped around, looking for the caller. She spotted a young woman waving to her. Alice quickly walked over and kissed the girl lightly on both cheeks, gripping her hands. "Ava," she said, happy to see her close friend. "How are you? You look darling after your honeymoon!"

"Thank you." The brown-haired beauty positively glowed, her blue eyes sparkling. Her cheeks were bright with the cold. "Will you come sit down and enjoy some tea with me?"

"I'd love to, but I'm afraid I must return home," she said sadly. 

"Oh, alright. Well, what have you been up to lately?" she asked.

They conversed for a few minutes, and Alice showed her the earrings. Ava exclaimed and said they were the prettiest she ever saw. She then revealed a secret to Alice.

"I am with child," she whispered, her face full of excitement.

"Ava, that is wonderful!" Alice cried, hugging her friend. "Oh, how long have you known?"

"Two months," she said, "but I'm three along. Lawrence is delighted."

"I am sure," Alice replied. "Well, I must go."

"Thank you for your time. I hope we see each other soon!" Ava called, as Alice walked away.

"Best of luck with your child, and stay healthy!" said Alice, and walked back to the coach. Timothy took her back to the manor, and Alice could not shake the feeling that the birth of her dear friend's baby would be fatal to the mother. She knew women died in childbirth, and she feared the day in her marriage when she would carry her husband's child. Alice arrived at home and did not speak for a long time.