Unexpected (Hunger games book)

Prologue*

President Wincemander had been pacing the conference building all day thinking about something, but no one knew what. He looked thoughtfully around the room at the capitols leaders, all gathered for the meeting he had called. He was not sure whether to share his idea or keep it to himself. With a deep breath and a look at the characters in the room, he began to lay out his idea.

"I have it ladies and gentlemen," he said in his thick capitol accent. Everyone stood in attention waiting for him to say what he had to say.

"Things have been getting..." he searched for the right word to compliment his idea, "boring around here. Lately things have been going a little too smoothly," President Wincemander said slowly.

Everyone nodded their heads simultaneously and he continued.

"As you all know there has been rebellion coming from some of the districts," he starts again. Some people nodded; others made a face of disgust. He glanced again at the crowd, gaining confidence in his idea. The more he thought about it the more he realized that he needed to say it. He smiled slyly, a cocky grin on his aging face.

"Lets show them that the capitol is not to be messed with or challenged," he said.Some people looked at him, confused, while others looked at him with interest.

He continued "It'll be a sort of game... a battle to the death kind of game," he waited for a reaction and smiled, "and only one can win. Maybe. I haven't decided yet." Some people nodded and looked at each other, and some people had emotionless faces, not knowing what to do.

"I know some of you might not be comfortable with this, but I don't care. We're going to pick one boy and one girl from each district, ages from twelve to eighteen, to participate in it. We'll have everyone watch it on big television screens."

Everyone smiled. One even commented: "Great idea, sir."

"Thank you I thought of it all by myself now what shall we call these games?" He asks. The room goes silent with people thinking.

"The Killing Games!" One says. The president shakes his head no. "The Murdering games" another one says "To bloody" the president says. Another one speaks "The glitter games," President glares at him "who in the world let you in here" the president says.

A women's voice spoke up,a women with a feeble appearance but with a voice quite bold. "Sir, you have started a food ration for the districts and some are going into hunger. You can promise the winners food and nice comfortable living. They also wouldn't have to worry about entering again. You can call it the Hunger Games."

Everyone looked at each other. The room grew quiet with a comfortable silence. "Perfect!" The president finally said.

"Now tell all the peace keeper in all the districts to assemble everyone and get this show on the road. I want these games started immidently," the president said, grinning, as he walked to the door.

Before he left he said one thing, looking slyly at the characters in the room. "May the odds be ever in their favor," and he walked out leaving a room full of people confused and excited.

Everyone ran around the room, papers flying everywhere, trying to tell the other districts about the president's plan. No one complained, after all, he was the president. They knew that the president wasn't happy and maybe this was his way of getting back at the districts. The president felt that if one district rebels soon they all would. The president is seen to be cruel in the district's eyes. Why? You may ask. Because the president wanted to see the fear in their eyes. He didn't want a challenge.