15: The Luna

Jaxon and Isabelle above!

"What do you mean she's gone?" Jaxon says, his words concise and seemingly calm. However, I can see the inner rage-- tightening and tightening and tightening until it eventually snaps! and obliterates everything within range.

I search his face, my hands on his shoulders as he still holds me suspended in the air. "Jaxon," I murmur calmly but his eyes never flinch from Grant's.

"Nonnie took her eyes off of her for a second and then she was gone. We're searching the woods now but I wanted to inform you of the possible situation," Grant informs.

"Where's Jason?" Jaxon says, his anger becoming difficult to reign in.

"Leading the search in the woods. He sent me to inform you," Grant bows his head in submission.

"Leave us."

Grant returns to the house, the silence pooling around us as he goes. Once he's completely out of earshot Jaxon lets me stand on my own feet yet keeps my body pressed against his by a tight grip on my waist.

"Jax," I run my hands over his shoulders and down his back until I'm wrapped around him in a tight hug. He stays rigid for only a moment before mimicking my action and pressing his face into my hair. "Who would've taken her?"

"So many people, Isabelle," His voice sounds defeated, broken and I realize this is the first time I've ever heard it so. "If you haven't noticed, I have more enemies than allies. Any number of them could've taken her."

"But she's just a baby," I mumble and he squeezes me tighter. 

"I've seen worse things done to children much younger than her."

"That doesn't mean that she's hurt. Or that someone even has her. She could have just run off."

"Annabeth doesn't run off, Isabelle. She's well-behaved. She knows not to just walk away from Nonnie. Either someone took her or something specifically drew her away."

"What would draw her away?"

When he doesn't immediately respond, I pull back while keeping my arms laced with his. What I see is a fuming Jaxon, so angry that his entire body is shaking and his eyes are completely black. I can feel the pricks of his claws into my arm as his wolf form begins to take over.

"Jaxon!" I exclaim, taking a few steps away from him until my back collides with a tree trunk. Red streaks down my forearms, blood flowing from his claws. 

His only response is a slow turn of his head toward me, those black eyes that are sure to haunt my dreams and memories for the rest of my life.

Then, a low, guttural voice emanates from his throat. One I've never heard before, not even when using his Alpha voice.