Chapter 5

/Evelyn's Pov/

Monday went exactly as I had expected, Issac had gone back to his ignoring me phase. I had a terrible headache and after skipping breakfast this morning, I didn't want to sit with Ellie, because that meant I would be sitting with Issac and I didn't want to sit with Lailah or Samuel, because that meant I would be sitting with Jax, so I decided to save myself the hassle and spend lunch alone. "El, I'm going to the library to study for the Algebra quiz." I said, as we walked towards the dining hall. "Ok, see you later." she said, smiling as I tried not to run across campus to the library. I walked to the back corner me and Issac had been yesterday and hoped to see him, but his chair was empty. I sat down in his chair and felt as if I had fallen through a hole. 

"What are you doing up darling?" Issac asked, as I sat in his lap and he put down his book that he was reading and instantly put his arms around my waist. "I couldn't sleep." I said, almost childlike and wrapped my arms around his neck. I immediately felt the familiar warmth surround me and felt his lips on my forehead. "What are you watching?" I asked, turning towards the television. "This new show came out called Saturday Night Live. It's pretty funny." Issac said, turning his head back to the television as if he had just realized it was on. I curled up closer to him and watched his eyes sparkle. "Your eyes are so pretty." I said, touching his cheek. "Nothing compared to yours." he said, leaning closer. His lips met mine and his eyes shot open after a second and I felt my heart start to burn and Issac held on to me tighter and I screamed.

"No!" I yelled, blinking and suddenly I was back in the library. I noticed it was empty and thankfully nobody had heard me yelling to myself. I looked at the clock on the wall to see it was already 5 pm. Dinner had just started, meaning I had missed World History and History of Religion. What is happening to me? I've never had one of these visions before and this last one was extremely vivid. I decided to head up to the dorms; I couldn't eat anything right now if I tried. I walked out of the door and turned into the stairwell and ran into somebody. I felt warmth surround me and I didn't have to look up to know exactly who is was. "Hey Ev." Issac said, holding my arm, so I didn't fall. "Hi." I barely got out before I ran the rest of the way up the stairs. It was pointless for me to talk to him, he would be my friend one second and cold to me the next. Also, I had no idea where these visions were coming from, but he was in all of them and they didn't start until I met him. 

I was trying to focus on my Algebra worksheet, but I couldn't stop thinking about my visions. It was like certain things triggered them, but if there was any truth to them, then I wanted to see more. With each vision that I saw, I felt as if there were parts of my brain that were getting dusted off. I heard a knock at the door and hoped it wasn't Ellie or Issac. "Hey, you wanna go for a walk?" Samuel asked, as I opened my door. I hesitated, knowing I should really do my homework, but knew I wouldn't anyways, so I agreed. "I saw you weren't in Religion today, is everything alright?" he asked, as we walked down to the main level. Most everybody was either in their dorms or finishing up dinner, so we easily walked through the hallways. "Yeah, I just had a bad headache, so I needed to sleep it off." I said, not exactly lying, this whole vision ordeal was really clouding my thoughts. "Do you like it here so far?" he asked, as we walked up two flights of stairs at the end of the hallway. We walked out on the roof and the view was pretty much the same as my room, trees and more trees with some mountains in the distance. "Yeah it's alright, most of the people are nice." I said, before I could stop myself. I did not want to talk about Issac and his mood changes with him. "Oooo, I sense some drama. Who hasn't been nice to you? I'll beat them up." he said, acting tough, which made me laugh. He laughed too and we sat on the couch that looked like it had been up here for years. "I'm really sorry about what Jax did to you the other night. I promise he won't touch you again. Him and Chase aren't really my friends, but they don't have anybody else." he said, as we sat and watched the stars come out. "Nothing really happened and you shouldn't be the one apologizing." I said, sitting criss-cross and turning to look at him. "He won't be doing much of anything for a while." he said, chuckling. "I thought Issac was the one that beat him up." I said. "He did, but I had my fun too." "Why do you feel the need to protect me?" I asked, genuinely curious. "I mean I always- um I don't know." he said and we were silent. "You probably have homework, we can go." he said, standing up. "Wait, Sam." I said, reaching for his arm. When his name left my mouth, his eyes shone brighter, even in the dusk lighting. "What?" he choked out and it sounded like he was going to cry. "Have you worked through your thing yet?" I asked. "No, not yet." he mumbled and I stood up as we walked back to my room in silence. "See you tomorrow." he said and was gone before I could say anything.

I had been taking notes for a couple hours when somebody knocked on my door. Assuming it was Ellie or Lailah I said, "come in." "Hey." Mal said, walking in and sitting at the foot of my bed. "Hi, what's up?" I asked. "Just wanted to talk." We talked about classes for a while before he brought up Jax. "Does everybody in this school know what happened?" I asked, slightly worried. "No, not at all. Issac is just my best friend, so naturally when he came back to our room with a few bruises, I asked about them." he said, touching my leg reassuringly. "They really aren't good people." "I realize that now, but Sam and Lailah don't seem too bad." I said, not really wanting to stand up for them, but I felt bad that people were always looking down on them. "They can be really bad when they want to be." Mal said, but dropped the subject. "You should sit with us in the cafeteria." he said, looking over at me and I could see him slightly glowing just like Sam and Lailah. "I don't think your friend really likes me." I said, thinking back to how Issac literally runs away whenever I'm in a 50ft radius of him. "Who Issac? No, he actually really likes you, he's just shy around girls." he said, and I felt my heart speed up. Issac liked me? He probably just meant as friends right? I fought the smile trying to make it's way on my face and stood up. "I'm really tired and it's getting pretty late." I said, noticing it was well past midnight. "I'll see you tomorrow morning?" he asked, as we stopped in front of my door. "Yep." I smiled and waved as he walked away. Did Issac really like me? More importantly, why was my heart fluttering at the idea of him talking to his friends about me?