Chapter 4: A Series of Events

Dedicating this chapter to ASmileInTheDark because of her awesomeness. :D Check out her vampire story on her profile! It's not like your regular sparkly vampire nonsense. xP

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 4: “A Series of Events”

Planning. Everything in our lives requires a plan. We plan tomorrow, we plan our futures, we plan the present, and we look for flaws in our plans of the past. 

That was what one man was doing – planning. However, he wasn’t planning what he wanted to eat for dinner that night, and neither was he making plans to see a movie.

He was planning a murder.

Sitting on a bench beside a tree in the park, Rick Masters looked like any normal person just spending a sunny day outside. No one would’ve guessed that this handsome, dark-haired man had very dark secrets. Adorned in black jeans and a red full-sleeved shirt, he looked like a well-off man spending a few minutes off from his busy life. Yes, he did have a busy life…just not the one anyone expected him to have.

Rick’s emotionless grey eyes were fixed on a young, blonde woman reading a magazine on the other side of the park. As if sensing his gaze on her, she glanced his way and her full, pink lips broke into a perfect smile. Rick raised an eyebrow and smirked. The woman batted her eyelashes and returned to her magazine.

Rick breathed in deeply and smiled. His smile was of a man who had just smelt victory in the air. And for Rick, he knew that victory was not far away.

Just a few more victims…

_____________________________________________________________________________

He waited almost nonchalantly for her in the dark alleyway. With a cigarette between his lips, he was leaning against the wall as his eyes were fixed on the small figure approaching from the other side of the alley. When she was near, she noticed him and gasped. Her body stiffened at first but then relaxed when she recognised him.

“Hello. I didn’t know you were waiting for me,” she said softly, smiling warmly at him.

He smiled back, looking almost predatory but it was unnoticed by the woman in the dim light.  “It’s not safe for a beautiful woman such as you to walk alone at night,” he commented, his voice warm and silky smooth.

She blushed. “Why, of course, how thoughtless of me. But, I believe that a strong man such as yourself will walk me home?” she replied as she batted her eyelashes at him.

He offered his arm. “Of course.”

James stopped writing as he took a sip of beer. Scratching his head with the end of his pen, he sighed and walked towards the window of his small apartment overlooking the city illuminated by bright lights. The city lights made the stars in the night sky look insignificant and they twinkled weakly. A cool breeze ruffled James’ dark hair and he closed his eyes as he breathed in the cold, night air.

James bit his lip as he glanced at the notepad on his table. Something was not right. He felt like he was forgetting something. Something important. He glanced at the clock. Seven-thirty. What was he forgetting?

Sighing heavily, James took his black jacket and walked outside.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Laura was not happy. 

Tapping her foot on the carpet of her living room, she frowned and glanced at the clock. Eight o’ clock. He was late. Very late. Why did he offer to have dinner if he was reluctant on showing up? Why did he give her mixed signals if he forgot about her? Why did he –