Chapter 22

"Who was it?" 

"..Duncan." 

All eyes were on the blonde instantly, who looked a little unsteady with all the stares. He looked at Lewis incredulously. 

"Me? What's that supposed to mean?" Duncan asked. 

"I don't know," Lewis replied. "You looked just fine. Not....burned up." He shuddered slightly. 

"So....I don't die, then?" Duncan suggested. 

"I guess not," Lewis answered. "But why?"

"Do you have anything that's going to happen soon? Anything that will keep you away from Yogtowers?" Kim asked urgently. 

"I don't think so. And what good would that do anyway?" Duncan asked. 

"Whenever you're leaving, it could be when the fire happens!" Kim answers. "Are you sure you don't have anything going on?" 

"I'm sure," Duncan said. "Not any that I know of, anyway." 

"That isn't helpful," Kim stated. Duncan shrugged. 

"Okay, guys," Martyn interrupted. "I don't think debating why Duncan lives is as important as when the rest of us die. You guys wanted to tell the rest of Yogtowers of Lewis' presence, right?" 

"Right," Smith answered. "But the real reason for that is also warning the rest of Yogtowers about the fire. We can't do that without giving away that Lewis is here. We also opted to tell you guys when we told the rest of the office."

"You weren't planning on telling us first?" Hannah asked, sounding truly offended. 

"We thought it would be easier to tell you all at once," Lewis chimed in. "And I want this done as soon as possible. We'll do the 'meeting' tomorrow night." 

"Hey, you're dead now, you're not the boss anymore," Simon joked, getting past the horror of his imminent death.

"I may be dead, but I can still boss you around," Lewis joked back. "But seriously, we're doing the meeting tomorrow night." 

Everyone agreed, and after a few minutes of broken chatter, they disbanded, heading home. Leaving Lewis behind at Yogtowers. 

***

It was settled that the meeting would be that night, in Hatfilms' office(it was the largest room that everyone could fit in to). The word had already spread, and everyone in Yogtowers knew about it. What the topic of the meeting was, however, was not told. 

Smith was cornered by Ross and Trott, who knew immediately by the look on his face that he knew something. 

"Do you know what this mysterious meeting is about, Smiffy?" Ross asked, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow. 

"That depends," Smith said cockily. "Who're you working for?" 

"We work with you, you twat!" Trott replied. "Tell us what you know! We're your best friends!" 

"Define 'best'," Smith replied, smirking. 

Ross chuckled while Trott swatted Smith's arm. 

"Be serious! Tell us!" Trott argued. 

"You'll know later tonight," Smith said. "It's not that long! You can wait." 

Trott grumpily went back to his desk, and the other two soon went to their own desks as well. 

"So...GTA?" 

***

Simon was just sitting down at his desk when his phone went off. He glanced at the screen, and read off Duncan's name on it. He tried not to panic and answered the phone. 

"Duncan?" Simon asked. 

"Hey," His voice sounded exhausted and rough. "You might want to speed up that meeting." 

Oh no. "Why?" 

"I just got sick this morning. Food poisoning, probably. Anyway, I won't be able to....make it to work today," He said in a defeated tone.

Simon leaned back in his chair and sighed. He felt his heart rate speed up and his breathing go uneasy. "Oh, god. What are we going to do?" 

"Start that meeting, like, right now," Duncan suggested. "Better be sooner than later." 

"Yeah," Simon agreed. "Feel better, I guess, Duncan." 

"Thanks. You be careful." 

Simon hung up the phone and set it down on the desk. He combed his fingers through his hair, just as Lewis floated through the wall. He noticed the distress of the other man. 

"What's up?" Lewis asked. 

"Duncan can't make it in today," Simon replied. 

Lewis was silent for a while. Then he replied with, "Oh no." 

"Yeah," Simon said. "We have to do the meeting right now." 

"Good idea," Lewis said. "I'll go fill in the others. You start organizing the meeting." 

Simon agreed and headed to the door when Lewis disappeared through the wall again. He paused at the door, one hand on the doorknob. 

If fate is correct, than we're going to die today. 

----------------------

Sorry this is a little short, I'm saving the best part for next chapter. :) 

~L