Chapter Fourteen:

When the sleek black Mustang pulls into one of the many school parking spots, l notice that Miley is leaning against the gate surrounding the prison-like school. She's flanked by Devon and Carl, and none of them look incredibly happy. Blue-Eyes cuts the engine and glances over, an eyebrow quirking with interest. "Your friends don't seem to happy."

"I don't know why," I stare at them from behind the safety of the tinted glass. "I told Miley that I was going to eat with you today; I didn't really go into specifics, but I did tell her." 

"So nobody knows that we're fake-dating?" 

My heart-strings ache when he says those words out loud --I mean, I know it's true, but he could let a girl live in her fantasy for a little while longer at least! I give him a curt nod, "I figure the less people know, the more believable it will be to Sophie." 

"Good idea," he unbuckles his seat-belt and opens the car door. I swiftly follow his lead, eyes flickering around nervously as I climb out of his car. My cheeks flush with embarrassment.

Is it just me, or has the entire school population stopped to gawk at us? 

Blue-Eyes meets me near the front fender. He glances down at me and laughs, "What, don't like the attention?" 

"I'm not used to it, that's for sure." I press my lips into a firm line and keep my chin angled high. These losers could stare all they wanted to --though I would suggest taking a picture, since it would last longer. I chance a quick peek at Blue-Eyes from the corners of my eyes and blush when I realize that he's grinning down at me. 

We approach the gate, and I meet Miley's gaze. Her eyes are wide, the size of paper-plates, and I'm deeply concerned about them actually popping out of their sockets as that seems to be a real possibility if they grow any larger. Devon sports an irritated look; it doesn't make him look very attractive. I notice that his fists are clenched tightly at his sides like he wants to punch something. Carl has his gaze fixated on the front of my shirt, like usual, but his lips are pressed into a grim line. 

"Hey," I wave as I slow to a stop in front of them. 

Miley smiles weakly, "Hey." 

Devon glares at Blue-Eyes like he's the most repulsive bug on Earth. He looks like he just witnessed Blue-Eyes kick a puppy off a cliff, and it's really starting to bother me. Irritation swells up inside me, and lingers behind my tongue --waiting for him to say something, so my anger can lash out at him like a tsunami wave. Carl looks up when I speak. He flashes me an apologetic grin and nods in greeting. 

One of my eyebrows arch as I stare at Devon. He meets my gaze --it's fleeting, but enough for me to realize that he probably won't be walking me to chemistry. I roll my eyes and turn to Blue-Eyes, who stands  there awkwardly. 

"Guys, this is Seth. Seth, this is-" I start the ritual introductions. I had been so wrapped up in waiting for Devon to strike, that I had forgotten my duties as mediator between the two distinct social classes. 

"We know who he is," Devon spits. 

I give him a dirty look, "Okay, don't get your thong in a wad. I was just making sure we all knew each other here." 

Devon shoots me a murderous look. He whirls around on his heel and becomes one with the cluster of students that swarm the courtyard like annoying wildflowers. I let out a small scoff and cross my arms over my chest --that wimp, he has no reason to be butt-hurt! Miley catches my eye and smiles apologetically, like Carl had earlier. I frown at her in response. 

Then the bell rings, and our ninja-conversation is pulled to an abrupt halt. Blue-Eyes winds an arm around my shoulders and tugs lightly, "Time to get to class." 

 "I'll see you guys later!" I tell Miley and Carl as I walk away with Blue-Eyes. 

Blue-Eyes lets out a frustrated sigh, "What was that guy's problem?" 

"Devon?" I quirk a brow at him, "I don't know. I think he has a crush on me or something, so he may not be too fond of you being around me. Jealous. You know, the usual." I babble aimlessly as my cheeks begin to burn --I have just realized what I'd said, and if Blue-Eyes was smart, he could probably read between the lines as to why Devon was so jealous.

It's not like I didn't make it entirely obvious. 

"Do you have class this period?" I hastily change the subject when I catch the mischievous glint in his darling baby blues. 

The corners of his lips twitch up into a crooked smile, "No. Why, wanna skip?" 

"Well, I do have this class with Devon..." I trail off meaningfully. Part of me doesn't want to go anywhere near that classroom; Devon hates my guts right now for some ungodly reason and I can practically feel the hate vibes already. "But he may tattle," I voice the other part of me's concerns. 

Blue-Eyes pauses. He leans against the wall and folds his arms across his chest; the dark black v-neck he wears tightens as his muscles bulge. It looks more painted on than anything. I lick my lips and look away, trying to inconspicuously check my mouth for drool. I wipe at my mouth and return my gaze to his. He purses his lips. The late bell rings, and students start to scurry off to class. Blue-Eyes arches a brow at me, "What if you play hooky?" 

My eyebrows mash together above my eyes, "What do you mean?" 

"Look pale and sickly," he orders, "I'll escort you to the nurse's office."

He grabs my arm and pulls it around his waist. I lean into him and tighten my grip around his thin, yet rock hard stomach. I focus on acting pale --though it's not like I can get any paler. I'm already naturally Frosty The Snowman's freaking human equivalent. His free arm curls around my waist, supporting me as I partially limp toward the front office. We take it slow, in case anyone is watching, and he laughs at me softly. 

"We need to really work on your acting skills," he whispers just so I can hear. I grumble at him from under my breath, and he ignores me, continuing on, "Maybe, once I bust you out of this joint, we can go work on it at my place." 

I almost stumble over a crack in the sidewalk. 

"Did you just invite me over?" I gasp out before I can stop myself. 

A/N:

Just something quick :) Sorry if it seems kind of filler-ish. Remember to vote/comment/follow/share!!! <3