Chapter 1-Together Again

As I am on my way to Ellis Island I hear someone yell,"Fedora." I turn, and see my handsome husband,Danko Dembinski; before I know what's going on, a river of warm salty tears stream down my cheeks. I have not seen my husband since we first boarded the foul, feces filled ship over a month ago. The captain had informed everyone, that any male that was fit for physical labor, would be helping onboard the ship which meant they probably wouldn't see their families until the end of the voyage. I had gotten so used to seeing Danko everyday that being away from him was one of the hardest parts of the trip.Every day I would wonder aloud, to no one in particular, where my loving husband was. Even if Danko hadn't been chosen to work with the Captain, I still would not have seen him often since there was well over 100 people crammed on this tiny ship.

I hate to admit, I had started to fear the worse, that not only had he died but his decaying corpse had been thrown out to sea, to be eaten alive by the many creatures that lurk within the murky depths. Just the thought of something so heinous brings more tears to my eyes as my husband rushes over towards me; he's yelling something but I've no idea what he's saying, it's as if his words are being whisked away on the soft ocean breeze.

For a moment I'm swept away, thinking about my husband, who's easily the most beautiful man I've ever laid eyes upon; with straight black hair, and chiseled jaw line, the most distinctive part about Danko are his cold blue eyes, that at first glance will intimidate the burliest of men. Danko has always been incredibly tall, standing at over 6 feet, he even makes me look insignificant, and I'm almost 6 foot myself. On top of Danko's height, he's always been very muscular and walks without the awkward gait many muscular men have; instead he walks with an unshakeable amount of confidence and grace, which is exactly what drew me to him 3 years ago.

Suddenly I'm snapped back to reality when another woman on the ship screams that she sees land. In a rush I look up to see Danko still weaving his way through the rambunctious crowd that has gathered. He is still saying something that I cannot understand; I try to read his lips, but the fifty closely pressed bodies in between us make it impossible for me to see his mouth even though he towers over many of them.

After a few moments Danko is in front of me finally, and I want nothing more than to hug him, when all of a sudden he stops me in my tracks and looks down at me. Once Danko's crystal blue eyes connect with my much softer brown ones, I know in my heart something is terribly wrong, but before I have time to ask what is wrong, Danko speaks up and says, "I found your sister."