2

"Can I help?" The moment I stepped into the special victims unit, a blonde with a stern focus addressed me.

"I'm Hazel. Hazel Fitzgerald. I'm starting today as the new shrink." I didn't stutter, so that's a win for me I guess.

I think my nerves are obvious, if my sweaty palm didn't give me away the fact I couldn't even make eye contact with Amanda Rollins as she introduced herself might've tipped her off. "The trick is to just act confident and hope nobody here sees through it yet." She smiled, leading me into the office of Olivia Benson, who I realised I'd met before.

"Hi, I'm Hazel Fitz-"

"-Fitzgerald, yes. I believe we've met before." She spoke, shaking my hand. I know it's professional courtesy to shake hands, that's what makes it ten times worse for anyone with nerves like mine.

"Of course." I thought back to the few cases I'd been introduced to during my time as a counsellor at Barnard. I was never close to the cases, just the girls involved, but I always wanted to do more to help than I was allowed. My job was to help the girls overcome their trauma, ideally for the institution this meant avoiding police intervention. "It's a pleasure to work closer with you, Lieutenant."

She stepped forward, leading me back out of her office, "Please, call me Liv. You've met Detective Amanda Rollins." I nodded "You should also be acquainted with Sargeant Fin Tutuola and Detective Sonny Carisi"

I followed the lieutenants eyes as she pointed out the people I'd be working closely with. I recognised Sonny Carisi from a couple of cases. Typically someone on the force would brief me on the patient's trauma before passing them over, once or twice he'd been the one to do that.

I could tell it made him uncomfortable to give details about these things. It would make most people uncomfortable. I assume police officers are supposed to maintain a professional distance from cases like I do, but I remember finding that he always seemed so affected by what he'd have to tell me. Maybe it's because my job is to read between the lines, or maybe it's just because I thought he was cute. I doubt he'd even really remember me.

Before lunch I'd been introduced to more people than I'd ever remember and briefed on a couple of ongoing cases with victims I'd hoped to help. Introducing a new shrink halfway through an investigation isn't necessarily smart, I was hesitant to volunteer any input when Jessica Lynn, the third victim of a now serial rapist the department was hunting, entered for her interview.