Defiance

➳➳➳ Defiance

Friday

-noun

the sixth day of the week, following Thursday.

This definition provided hardly did us students any justice. To us students, it held conflicting emotions for the day drags eternally as we hold our breaths and wait for the final bell.

However, for students of Crossvale High during the first week of the Winter Agon period, it can be defined alone as one the best and worst days one could possible encounter in a week at Crossvale High.

Best for those that see us as a laughing stock.

Worst, for Kaden and I for attention would be solely pegged on us for a whole hour.

Arienne stood vigilant alongside me, her small frame tense as her eyes darted around the crowd searching for potential threats to me. However, no amount of shielding could obstruct the sound of laugher laced with mock that repeatedly irritated my eardrums.

As if possessing a sixth sense (which she probably has when it comes to me) Ari gave my hand a squeeze before giving me a slight push towards the stage. It was stupid. I stumbled, knocking into a nearby group of Year 8s who looked at me like I was an exploding ball of hydrogen undergoing nuclear fusion. Okay I mean their Sun.

"Are you okay?" One of the girls screeched, and I pursed my lips before nodding curtly and searching the crowd for Kaden. He promised he would meet me here but knowing him, he was either stuck on a wall while escaping, or talking to her while she flirtatiously wished him luck.

I had an ominous feeling that it was the latter.

Just my luck.

Then bell sounded, the incessant ring mirroring my dread and fear.

Idiotic, imbecile, dense, ludicrous, ridiculous, pointless, stupid.

Thousands of eyes were on me and while I was tempted to flip them the bird or throw a potassium into the reagent bottle labelled 'Hydrochloric acid' and fling it right in the heart of the crowd, I was required to stay immobile.

Ms.Grey's vice grip of my arm was cutting off the blood circulation and my right hand was starting to experience a cold numbing sensation. My nose was violated by strong tides of ginger which she must've soaked herself (probably her hair) in and I was concentrating on breathing through my mouth in tiny gulps.

Since my tolerance was dwindling, I yanked my right arm from Ms.Grey and flipped the crowd my middle finger.

Gasps resounded and echoed around the hall as all eyes darted to me with students pointing accusing fingers at me. The principal paused mid-sentence to glare at me, shaking her fist angrily at me and soon, police sirens could be heard and an ordinary congregation transformed into a chaos.

The police siren was getting louder and an ambulance siren could be deciphered amongst the pandemonium.

A hand reached for mine and I turned abruptly to see Kaden's blue eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Let's run to another galaxy." He whispered in my ear, his lips brushing the shell of my ear like a zephyr, his fingers intertwined with my own. I suppressed a shiver as a wave of pleasure washed over me.

What? He turns me on.

"Dude. There's a freaking commotion and you want to cause even more panic?" My voice sounded surprisingly calm despite my unnerving inner self shrieking due to the closeness.