cindy's twist part 3

A week before the Prince was due at my cousin's house, I fell ill. So ill that I couldn't accuse Mildred of poisoning me, which she probably did. My cousins could not do anything but made sure that I was well cared for and stayed well away from me for fear that they might get sick too. I didn't feel contagious, just murderous towards Mildred as she would stop at nothing to destroy me. What had I done beside show her pity? Finally when the Prince arrived, I heard his horses pull up at the front of the house. Somehow I managed the strength to descend the stairs watching my cousins try on the shoe. To my horror, Mildred stepped into the scene but it wasn't Mildred... or was it? No it had to be Mildred only she was dressed in my clothes and had an even more uncanny resemblance to me that it sent a cold shiver down my spine. So uncanny was her look that my Aunt and cousins were fooled.

'Oh Alley dear, what a speedy recovery!' exclaimed Anne.

'Ally, come here and try it on, it is your shoe I presume?' said Zelda as she gestured to Mildred to come forwards.

Mildred walked towards the Prince and in her hand was the other golden shoe that I had thrown at her the day after the ball and narrowly missed her head. She walked over to the Prince and offered her foot which would fate have it, fitted perfectly in the shoes. Damn her, we were both the same shoe size!

As quickly as I could, I ran down the stairs only to slip and fall flat on my face at the Prince's feet. Aunt Beatrice, Anne and Zelda stared at me horrified as I slowly got up. The Prince looked at me and though I tried to speak, I could not. Whatever poison Mildred slipped into my food was really, really strong, murderously strong. My Aunt and cousins at the same began reprimanding me as they simultaneously apologised to the Prince, saying that I was just a servant and didn't know better. That's when it hit me. They thought I was Mildred and that Mildred was me. But why was this happening? Mildred must have tampered with their minds too with whatever poison she gave me. In my confusion I flailed my hands and gestured obscenely pointing towards Mildred then to me but I was failing...and running out of time. The Prince looked at me like I was completely mental, which I probably was by this time and the only sounds that escaped my throat were rasps and grunts, the kind that animals made. I blushed both in embarrassment and anger as I ran from the room towards the nearest mirror. What I saw was devastating. My illness had led to my disgustingly unkempt appearance, my eyes were bloodshot, and my hair had lost its shininess and lay in unruly tangles. I looked like Mildred, the way she looked when I first met her.

That's when I heard laughter outside the window. I looked out and rested my body upon the window frame to see Mildred waving goodbye to my cousins as she entered the Prince's carriage. My voice was completely gone and as I tried in vain to scream out all the foul words that my mind could conjure up, not a single sound came out leaving me pounding my fists against the window uncontrollably, almost shattering it. Mildred must have heard me banging against the window as she looked up at me staring back at her and smiled maliciously as she waved, rapidly moving away from my sight towards the palace to live happily ever after.

BITCH!