Chapter 6

I broke during final exams. I had been studying in the library three days straight, only leaving when the staff kicked me out. I was running off of half hour naps and granola bars when Fannie came into the library and sat down across from me.

"They're serving chicken tenders in the cafeteria today. Your favorite," She smiled.

"They only serve chicken tenders on Tuesdays," I muttered without looking up from my history textbook.

"I asked the kitchen brownies to make an exception this one time."

I looked up at Fannie. He face was bright and hopeful, I was overwhelmed. She was so kind to me, and here I was, keeping secrets from her.

"I've talked to your brother," I blurted.

Her smiled instantly dropped, "What?"

"The first time, he told me more about you than I let on, and a couple weeks after that, he lured me to the edge of the woods to make a deal."

"You made a deal with him?" She cried.

"No! I would never! I could never do that to you, Fannie. But he did tell me to keep it a secret, and I did. But I know now that that was wrong. You deserve more of that from him, and especially from me."

"What was the deal he offered?" She asked, hesitant to believe me.

"He asked me to convince you to go home, and forget about Cal."

"What did he offer you in return?"

"Anything."

Fannie's eyes widened, "My brother would never do such a foolish thing."

"But he did! He really wants you back, Fannie."

"I don't know if I believe you, Cara."

I inwardly groaned, "What's hard to believe? The fact that your brother offered me anything, or the fact that I didn't take the deal?"

"Both. I don't understand how he could be that reckless, or how you could be noble enough to not take such a deal."

I sighed, "Look, Fannie, he said something the first time I spoke to him. He said that you and I are the same. A part of me didn't take the deal because I didn't want to betray you, but an even bigger part of me didn't take it because it would have felt like selling myself out."

"Are you referring to our estrangement from our families?" She asked.

I nodded, "Yeah. You know, I have a twin too."

"You never said anything."

"I know, probably because I don't like talking about her, or even thinking about her. That makes me a horrible sister, I know, but she's always been everything I wanted to be."

Fannie furrowed her eyebrows, "What did you want to be?"

"I don't know...it's just that, for her, everything always seemed to easy. She was smarter, more athletic, with a better personality. I had to work twice as hard as her to be loved half as much."

"I know how you feel," Fannie's eyes slid to the ground.

"Exactly! That's why I would never sell you out, because I know how you feel too! My sister probably misses me as much as your brother misses you, but it doesn't matter. We need to make our own ways, without their shadows looming over us."

"I think you're right. I also think I can forgive you...this time. But please, don't keep secrets like that from me again. I don't need my brother monitoring my every move through you. Don't tell him anything more about me, or what I'm doing. I'm asking you as your friend, and as your kindred spirit," Fannie pleaded.

"I promise you, I won't."

-

And I kept my promise. When I saw the Faerie Prince again, the day before we were to move out, I walked towards him of my own volition.

"What do you want?" I asked him.

"You told my sister. I should've known never to trust a mortal."

"Then why did you do it? Trust me, I mean. There was no reason to," I told him.

"I thought perhaps you cared for my sister's wellbeing, but I suppose you're too selfish for that."

I narrowed my eyes, "What makes you think that?"
"You told her out of guilt, not out of empathy. You didn't take my deal because it hit too close to home, not for loyalty. You are every bad thing about mortals wrapped in one tall, gangly package," He said this matter-of-factly.

I wanted to be angry at him, but I knew he was right. I was far from perfect.

"Where will my sister be staying during the summer? I know she's not coming home."

She was going to stay with Imani this summer, but I would never tell him that, "It's none of your business."

"How about you, will you be going back to your family?"

"That's none of your business either," I said firmly.

"I see how it is. Well, Ainsel, I must say I like you far less than I did before."

"Likewise," I reply.

"Then we are of similar mindsets. Good. I will be seeing you again, I hope you know."

"I wouldn't have expected anything different."

-

I did go home for the summer. I gave in to my mother's nagging, and my father's guilt trips. I arrived late that next Saturday, the damp air clung to my clothes and raised my hair on end. I felt the need to ring the doorbell, a strange feeling since it was the house I grew up in, the house I used to call home.

It seemed smaller now.

It was Mia who answered the door. Her thick mahogany waves were held up in a sleek ponytail. Her face was devoid of makeup, and even so, her suntanned skin seemed almost flawless.

Her face was so familiar it hurt, and her grey eyes lit up when she saw me, and wrapped me in a hug.

"It's been way too long, Carrie."

"I know, I'm sorry I haven't called enough."

"It's fine, we've both been busy. Me at Columbia, and you at," she paused, "I'm so sorry, what was your school's name again?"

"Boundary. Boundary University."

"That's such a strange name for a school," Mia laughed.

I smiled, "It is, isn't it?"