8. The Route

So many times during it he wanted to give up.
His system kept flashing warnings about insufficient thirium levels, about damaged parts that had to be replaced immediately - he had to actually stop himself from mockingly repeating the words he kept seeing before his eyes as he waved them away.

Please contact the nearest Cyberlife Store for assistance.
Of course. Absolutely. How about he waltzes inside one right now and starts a musical number, they'll surely receive him well.

But he kept going.

Trying to hide himself from curious eyes, taking the routes chosen less frequently, covering up the stupid wound with whatever he had around. A newspaper, nonchalantly spread open. A piece of dry-ish cardboard that he found somewhere. Just his hand, fingers wrapped tightly around the thigh, as if protectively.

But he kept going, thinking of the goal - Jericho, thinking of making it back alive (he just wanted to live), hoping to see his friends again. (Josh, the calm and kind soul, ever so peaceful in these hard times; North, fire running in her veins; he missed her, even though she was oh so close to giving him a death sentence on the roof - he understood. She didn't see a person then. She only saw the consequences.)
... Thinking of seeing Markus again, too. For some reason he couldn't get it out of his head.

Step, step, step after step.
Markus. Markus. Markus.
The leader. The savior. The key to their freedom?

The day when the odd-eyed android found their hideout in the freighter was still fresh in his head. The panicked worry they all shared when they saw the fall. The silent intimidation when he spoke up, his tone disappointed, accusatory. Deep under his skin Simon knew it was their fault - his fault - and since that very moment he chose to be loyal to him and every decision he was to make. It was the best he could to to make it up to everyone he wronged when he couldn't bring himself to take matters in his own hands.
If someone has the courage to act this way, they must know what they're doing. And so far he did, not a single flaw in his plans and actions, as long it all depended on him.

Simon admired him. Admired the courage, the flair and cleverness, the confidence visible in his every move and every expression. The way he frowned his eyebrows when deep in thought, tensed his muscles ever so slightly, as if he were ready for action right now and then, as soon as the idea settled in.
Simon would do anything to keep him safe, if he could. He would do anything to make sure he stays in one piece and reaches his goal, for the sake of everyone.
And for the sake of finally seeing a smile on the freckled face - altough this last thought was quickly, almost shamefully, pushed away.

The route he had to take to find the ship was embed deep in his program, and he was certain he's following the right path, only turning and twisting it here and there to confuse someone who could possibly get suspicious and start following him.

Soon, he'd be home.
But part of him was afraid - what if Markus will be angry that he returned, risking the reveal of Jericho's location? What if he shouldn't be heading back at all?

It was too late to think about it now. He could only hope for the best.