Chapter 1 "Finding My Other Sock"

The seemingly suspicious look on the Professor's face this morning, I know it's just before sunrise, but still I think he's onto my little plan for his birthing ceremony. I quickly shuffle across the dirt covered hard wood floor, with nothing but my socks on, haven't washed these socks in what seems like a thousands Empty Moons.

So soft and nurturing to my soft fragile feet, If I had a septim for every time I have either cut, scrapped, knocked, bumped or bruised my feet running through the wood and across ground never before walked by a bare foot explorer, I believe I would be a millionare swimming in septims with my bloody feet.

Out the dusty old lab I go, ready to travel the far reaches of the woodlands in search of beautiful and ugly ingredients for my wonder stew for tonight's supper, I think I might take the old road, I have to say I do love the grey, uneven footpath riddled with all manner of things from insects, to toadstools, to dangerous poisonous flowers, not that I would dare step on one of those by accident on my way to mothers... no absolutely. 

The door slammed shut behind me, with a rather large gust of wind blowing right through my fairly long hair as the short hairs on my arm start to tingle and freeze up because of the cold breeze, I hate goosebumps, they give me the shivers... speaking of shivers, where is my coat...

Damn, left it inside.... back in we go... through the dusty old door, across the dirt covered hard wood floor, up the screeching steps up up up we go, down the hall and first right, my room door, I tried and making it look as scary as possible, covering the wood with balm oil, making it a dark murky colour, and I attached spider webs that took me a fair while to find in the wood. As I open my door, I see my little dust covered coat hanging by the window... better close it actually, breeze is murderous.

Back down we go, down the hall, down the steps, across the dirty floor, and I happened to jump out the door this time... never done that before. Check everything before we set off on our adventure to find..... (pause for suspense) ingredients... wasn't that climatic actually.

Well put my smooth leather cap on and off we go, headed down the old road this time, lets hope we dont step on anything dangerous like last time, I think we'll be alright.

Such a beautiful day, the sun beaming streams of light through the branches as I walk past the edge of the wood, you can even hear the life teeming out of the wood on the soft calming breeze, so cold yet so warm, feel the heat bouncing of my face as I peer into the distance. I stopped so suddenly and so fast that there is a little trail of small stones and gravel particles that spun up in the air around my socks, I thought I saw a flicker of light coming from the side of my eye as I was walking. I thought it may have been... noo...noo... couldn't be... 

I take off like a dragon off the side of a mountain, using the wind to carry me down the path I feel is right, either way I must run from this place as fast as possible. A few moments later I come across a lonesome traveler as I'm sprinting down the gravel filled road leaving a trail of dust behind me. I spin past the traveler , noticing he his dressed like a wandering bard, a flute in his hands and a book filled with loose sheets of music is my guess...

A few moments later, I arrive at the crossing of paths, one leading away from the wood, and one leading into the heart of the Varden Forest, I didn't have enough time to think about it I shot left into the vast magnificence of the Varden Forest, hoping.. just hoping.. what I thought to be, was not chasing me..

I finally come to a stop by an old overhanging branch that must have broken in a storm one night, would have to have been a while ago, the last storm worth mentioning was over two Empty Moons ago. I stop and catch my breath as the gravel and dust begun to stop and fall to the ground around me creating a almost perfect circle of dust around my feet. 

A single beam of light shot me right in the eye as I peer up into the tall tress that surrounded me, I'm am not lost.. I cant be.. didn't go that far, only a few lengths down the old path.

NO!!.... my sock, where is my sock.... I swear I had it on just as I stopped to catch my breath.

NO!!!... I desperately launched myself into almost every direction I could possibly think of at that moment, and my left sock was nowhere to be found, I suddenly realize that it may have been lost on my speedy trip down that left path... I'm to frightened to go back the way I came.. It might still be after me... may have already found my sock and locked onto my stench. 

I look for the morning star in the sky, it is almost mid day, the morning star should be just left of the horizon, I look and look and.. wait... found it.. now I can signal the Professor to send Jasper, I take out a glass ball, filled with all manner of grounded flowers, powder and explosives me and the Professor designed so if we were ever in need, the powder would attract Jasper. I throw the glass ball into the closest tree... not the best idea now that I've only got one sock on.

Out of nowhere I hear a screeching sound in the distance, ever coming closer to my position, at first I believe it to be what I was running from but then I hear the call of Jasper. Filled with delight and safety that my trusty companion has arrived, I conjure a ball light, one of the most simpler magic the Professor taught me in my first years of study, the ball is to attract nearby friends and animals..

Jasper leaps out in front of me with a angry snarl, as I had just woken him from his weekly slumber. "Sorry!!" I shout, he slowly walks over to me and bows his head, I step back and bow... only to be polite as we are civilized folk.. He carries a message from the Professor.....

I open the parchment that had been waxed and sealed with the Professors marking ring, and a rather beautiful red ribbon, with the message inscribing "...........................