Afternoon Study Group

-

-

**Leo Valdez**

-

-

-

As the halls quickly empty to just a few people here and there I start towards the library, completely expecting an empty room just like it always is after the final bell has rung. The ruff blue carpet scrapps against my knees as I tumble forward and faceplant against the unforgiving ground; groaning I turn my head just far enough to see the large red duffel bag that had tripped me, it's contents now turned over and spilling out over the library's dusty floor.

"What the hell?" I mumble, getting up to my hands and knees to grab hold of one of the pictures laying in the heap of clothes. In the photograph it's obvious that there had been a bright flash and the pair's faces were a little too bright to be normal and the darkness surrounding the pair just gives way enough to show a corner of a staircase going up behind them and pictures someone's house would have in them with little figures standing in unnatural positions. The pair centered in the photograph look taken aback by the sudden flash and are only a little pulled away from each other with very red, swollen lips and hair run through one to many times by fingers and shirts wrinkled, their eyes are squinted with both seeming a little rosey around the cheeks and nose, but the taller one, sitting up on a higher stair still is smiling dumbly. His blond hair and school football shirt is enough to know who it is even if you didn't notice the scar on his lip or the stupid way he was leaning back on both his arms most likely cutting off circulation. The one below him looked very, very, angry about the picture his wild black hair being cut off by the edge of the picture and only his skull t-shirt to give him away as the kid that usually was under the bleachers at the beginning of every morning with Piper, Frank, Hazel and myself.

"LEO!" Looking up at the high voice that had just squeaked out my name I saw the large red faced Jason putting out a hand to stop me from looking at the photo, he looked so worried that I almost laughed.

"Something wrong Jason?" Putting the photo into the bag I begin to notice that there are also other things besides the pictures: shoes, t-shirts, pants, socks, a pillow, and an old stuffed bear still mostly tucked inside.

"I uhh--" He grabs the bag before I can get up and unceremoniously stuffs his possessions back inside, it doesn't go without notice that the pictures still on the floor go in last and stay at the top of the bag.

"No, everything's fine. Sorry for tripping you, I had a ton of stuff in my arms and I dropped this and before I could come back and get it you had already fell down and--" I wave him off, pushing the hand he had extended to the side to stand up and walk towards my usual table, which had five or six notebooks along with three textbooks and another bag already sitting there.

"Who else is here?" I ask looking around for someone else, half expecting the football team to pop up any second and attack me.

"No one, I just have my english stuff, so if you needed any help with that I could, well, offer my assistance in exchange for you helping me." Jason says suddenly becoming interested in his feet, rolling my eyes I drop my bag down on the table, "Yeah, sure. If we have time, I have to be home by five and leave at 4:30 to catch the bus."

Jason nods setting his other bag down and looking at me expectantly, "So... Where do we start?"

-

-

An hour later we finish Jason's worksheet and he has helped me start to understand the idiocy of Hikuis.

"Thank you for helping me," Jason beams as he starts to pack away his books.