Chapter fourteen

14 is my favorite number so I'll try to make this a good chapter... we'll see

↥↥↥↥

Chapter fourteen

Collette's POV

↥↥↥↥

Pain is a feeling usually felt when something is wrong. It's an indication that changes should be made, that what ever is working isn't. At all costs it should be eradicated. And what was that for me?

Vulnerability. 

My worst vulnerability by far was the feeling of love, the waste less feeling that struck me useless when used the right way. And now that every person I had ever trusted, ever loved, apart from Charter--Elliot was a whole different case--was killed in some way or another and I am done with pain. It had no control over me and I will never let it again.

It's all turned off now. And it will forever stay that way.

↥↥↥↥

"Collette," Elliot rushes to my side and my head bobs uncomfortably, though I don't have the strength to hold it up. His lips snarl back and he looks across the room to Kael. I can't tell if Elliot is mad at me getting hurt or if it's because this is setting his plans back a couple days.

Every light, every noise, everything that's overwhelming my senses right now is blinding and pierces my thoughts. I can't concentrate on anything and all I want to happen is for the bullet in my side to go deeper until there's no stopping and soon after there won't be any blood left to drain.

A scream erupts through my lips automatically as Elliot pulls the bullet from its hole and suddenly everything seems a lot more calm. My breathing, once I gulp down the well needed air, calms to a steady beat and I stare at the hanging white lights.

"Don't say anything," I whisper, my voice muffled at first until I break through the strange catch in my throat. "Whatever you're going to say, I don't want to hear it because I know it's going to bad. Now is not the time," I say and gently sets my torso and head back onto the ground.

"Here," Elliot pauses then hands me a small sealed vial. The scent hits me moments after I take it in my hand and it smells of old, crushed honeysuckle. "No," I tell him. "I don't want to cheat away the pain. It all catches up to me in the end."

"There are more people involved in this than just you," Elliot grinds his teeth and pops the cap open for me. I inch away and my refusal pushes him to throw the glass against the far wall, shattering it.

He needs me. The thought is mind blowing, to know that someone as powerful as Elliot is dependent upon something is out of this world.

"You mean you," I counter and hold my wadded tank top onto my wound, my over shirt slowly turning red like the sunset.

Elliot glares as he stands and walks off. My nerves won't settle until his clacking shoes are out of ear range.

And then they are.

↥↥↥↥

Charter's POV

It won't stop shaking.

I know I'm the only one who can feel it--I'm the only one who's ever felt it before now. It's not a lot, but if I stand still and press my ear to the ground then there's a delicate drumming.

And I know exactly who it is.

↥↥↥↥

Work has worsened down on the side of the mountain. New recruits have been piling in like a fully needed rainfall but I highly object.