Chapter 22

I felt my heart racing inside of my chest. 

I had been placed in a chair, something white still covered my eyes. 

The room I was in was damp, cold, and it smelled of garbage. 

The thought of not knowing where I was or what was about to happen to me was enough to make me have a panic attack at this very moment. But I wasn't going to allow that to happen. 

I tried to focus on my breathing, in and out slowly. It seemed to be working. But every once in a while I would hear a loud bang or someone's voice which would put me back into panic mode. 

I tried to see things in my head that would keep me calm, but the only thing I could picture was Officer Lee's face. The last image I had of him was of the shock and hurt displayed on his face when I told him that I had killed his mother. And that would probably be the last image I would ever have of his beautiful face. 

For a moment I wondered why I couldn't have had a normal life. Why couldn't I have been a normal girl with a family that loved and cared for me the right way? Why couldn't I have finished school? Why couldn't I have helped Agatha? Why couldn't Officer Lee love me? Why couldn't he feel for me the way I felt, and still feel, for him? Why did I have to be unlovable? 

I could feel tears brewing in my eyes as the questions ran through my brain one after another.

It wasn't fair that I had to be cursed with this shitty life. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? I never wanted to be like this. As a little girl I always imagined myself as a teacher. A person that was loving, nurturing, and caring. I wanted to be the kind of person that I never had the opportunity to know. 

"Here she is, boss." A man said in a gruff voice, pulling me away from my thoughts. 

I heard a door being opened and a few pairs of feet descending down stairs. 

I heard a few chuckles and laughs. 

"Sian, Sian, Sian." I recognized this voice, Taylor. 

The white thing covering my eyes was suddenly ripped away and I was blinded by the rush of light. 

"I know you didn't think that you could runaway for long, did you?" I squinted to see him as my eyes adjusted to the light. "After your..." he paused as he seemed to be searching for the right word, "infractions, did you honestly think I would just let you get away with it?" 

I snorted inside my head. He decided on infractions, such a big word for the people in this room. It seemed like a word Officer Lee would use to scold me. 

I never understood how Taylor was so much more educated than the rest of us... I mean, them.

I focused my eyes on the concrete floor, refusing to acknowledge Taylor and the other men in the room.