23 | cassette

23

C A S S E T T E

        "Well, go on then," Renée huffed impatiently, scarfing down a packet of chips on Mia's sofa in the living room

        "Well, go on then," Renée huffed impatiently, scarfing down a packet of chips on Mia's sofa in the living room. Mia really had to hand it to her, the girl really could eat and maintain her body weight. Just two minutes ago, she had a chocolate bar in her hand. It was unnatural how Renée was always eating.

        "Go on what, exactly?" Mia demanded, plummeting to the seat beside her with a heavy sigh. The plush of the sofa calmed her beaten muscles and she wished she could sleep off this nightmare, but Renée insisted to come over after hearing Mia's parents were at work. She felt rude telling her not to, but now, she sorta wished she had.

        Not only did she need some rest, but Mia missed the normalcy of her life. She might have played detective, but she was still a teenage girl, in her Junior year, and she really needed to put her head on straight. Do some homework, join a club, study hard for the exams, go costume shopping for Beverley's fundraiser. If it wasn't for Beverley, the biggest stress Mia would go through right now would be what superhero she'd be: Catwoman or Gamora.

        Renée gazed at Mia incredulously. "Um, I don't know, let's watch the only thing you salvaged from that bright idea of yours?"

        Perfectly aware of the cold attitude and sarcasm laced in her tone, Mia winced. Any other day, she'd snap back, especially under the circumstances; but she decided to cut Renée some slack. She hadn't told her about those images of the naked girl. How a strand of hair in the picture showed it was blonde. How the girl's body was angled like it was a photo shoot and she was the ravishing model. And she was, really. Jeffrey's camera surely loved her. How do you tell that to a girl who had most likely been cheated on?

        Mia coughed, clearing her throat. "Not my fault I didn't know where the key to the darkroom was," she lied with a firm tone. "You didn't even tell me there was one!"

        Eating the last chip of the packet, Renée raised one shoulder and dropped it. "I didn't think it'd be useful information," she stated. "I didn't know where Jeff hid the key and also, I've only been in there once, all it consisted of was Yearbook photographs." Renée concluded, before what seemed like realization dawned on her features. "And anyway, where did you find that cassette in the first place? He locks them up in the darkroom."

        Busted.

        All there was now, was the truth. Wincing, Mia admitted, "Okay, so I lied -- but I have a reason!"

        "What the fuck are you talking about, Mia?"

        Well, this didn't go to plan.

        "I did find the key to the darkroom," she admitted with a shaky sigh, holding up the cassette. "And this wasn't all that I found."

        Mia didn't know the girl in front of her well, so she had no idea what her reaction would be. Would she get mad, and scream at her? Or would she mistrust her? Those questions were answered when Renée gave her a blank look. "I thought we were supposed to trust each other," she shot at her.