Chapter Eight - All Night

***

We got all night, and we're going nowhere.

***

"Holy sh-" Vic started, walking into the packed club, only stopping her words when Louis' amused glance hit her. "... Cow..." She finished, poking her tongue out at him.

His eyebrows just lifted as if to say "nice save", and Vic pushed him. "No antagonizing the birthday girl!"

Louis held up his hands in the familiar surrender pose. Pleased by her victory, Victoria beamed and kissed his cheek happily. Quickly, Liam slung his arm over her shoulder as if to discourage the rest of the club from thinking they'd get similar treatment. Thanks to the simple telepathy that existed between Vic and Liam, she shifted his arm off her shoulder and took his hand instead.

"Let's dance." She coaxed, brushing her thumb on the inside of his wrist in a way that always got him to agree with her.

"But..." Liam hesitated, the pull of her request causing his eyes to narrow and his teeth to catch his lower lip. "... Your guests... they -"

"- Will get to wish me a happy birthday later. Right now, the birthday girl wants to dance with her boyfr- band mate."

The correction was on purpose, and Liam perked up from his unofficial position, holding her closer still. Liam and Victoria moved to the dance floor with nothing but bright eyes and linked hands, finding familiar positions against each other to dance... still trying hard to pretend like they were just friends when they moved together so perfectly. Harry went straight to the bar, but his eyes never left the happy pair.

Zayn and Louis exchanged small, uneasy smiles, and both simultaneously turned to see what Niall was up to.

Their friend was right behind them, staring at the dance floor with the same hungry possessiveness that Harry was radiating on his bar stool. Zayn followed Niall's line of sight to another couple on the dance floor.

It would've been so much easier if they'd been grinding on each other or making out. Something to imply that this was just lust... but it was the complete opposite. The guy's hands were in a safe position on the girl's waist, hers were around his neck, and despite the pounding music and jostling bodies, they were just swaying in their own impregnable bubble.

Worst of all, they weren't talking, just drinking each other in like they couldn't get enough. Lo's eyes sparkled with a soft innocence and wonder that the boys had never seen on her face before. Kaiden's, in contrast, held nothing but awe and admiration for the beautiful woman in his arms. If they weren't in love yet, it was crystal clear that they were getting there.

Niall shouldered his way harshly past Louis and Zayn, shoving people to the side in his angry path to the bar. There he claimed the stool next to Harry and gruffly ordered a pint before sitting down and resting his forehead in his hands, elbows on the sleek bar.

Vic noticed despite Liam claiming her attention, and she was just about to go check on him when Zayn quickly rushed to catch her eye, shaking his head and saying without words that he could manage it. Mummy and Daddy could dance; the big brother would handle things.

Harry, whose eyes had not left Vic's figure, watched as her frame finally left Liam's, a soft release of breath misting the glass at his lips, and he'd just shifted from his stool to ask for a dance or offer her a drink... but Zayn's silent intervention sent her right back to where she started, and all Harry could do was find the place where he'd made his imprint on the leather seat moments ago and glare at Zayn. The Bradford boy winced slightly at the pure venom in the gaze, but he shrugged lightly, biting his lip and looking down until Harry finally turned his emerald eyes back on the dance floor.