Chapter One: Home

I can smell what was my pack four years ago, it still smells like rain. Home, or atleast what I thought was my home. My family wrote me weekly and that helped with all of the sudden changes, but I never heard from Roman, my best friend since we were in diapers. I understand we're no longer mates and he's the Alpha now, but does our situation seem that bad that he can't write me at Yule anymore?
"Earth to Callie? You in there?" I glance over at Thea, my friend and fellow priestess. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm a little nervous to be back home after all this time. Roman probably has mated and started a family." Thea lets out a heavy sigh, "Screw him Callie! The Goddess blessed you with each other for a reason and he just rejected you! Do you know how much I'd give to have a mate in this world? Who knows you could be able to have a pup of your own too." Her voice has a slight tremor, "I'm sorry Thea." I take her hand, this is one of those sacrifices we've made because we were "blessed".
I feel the car starting to slow down as we pull through the gates, I can feel eyes on me from all those I've known my whole life. The sneers on the faces of people I called friends. I slide my aviators and my mask on. My mantra screaming loudly in my head. Keep your head up, you are strong. Bulletproof. No one can touch you. "When we get to the pack house, you can go home Thea. I appreciate this. I owe you one." She just nods at me.
When we get to the end of the driveway I grab my bag and hop out of the car. I know I look like I've come to fight, decked out in skin tight leather, but it's how most of us dress. We are always ready to fight. We aren't very welcomed knowing wolves secrets.
Stretching my legs, I glance up into the eyes of my once upon a time mate and best friend. I can feel the urge to smile, but I beat it down into my stomach. He doesn't deserve it. "Roman. How's it been?" I cock an eyebrow at him as he glowers in my direction. "That's Alpha Roman to you." I snort a ridiculous laugh. "As if I'd ever call you Alpha. Last I checked, I am technically your superior being a personal servant to the divine and all." I snatch my aviators off and glare into his eyes. My red and blue into his moss green. Waiting to see who backs down first.
After a few minutes he cracks a smile laughing,"Nothing changes with you does it?" He walks down the steps towards me, "A lot about me has changed, and I am not sure if all of it is good." I turn my face from his direction glaring angrily at the dirt. After all this time and his smile still sends my heart into overdrive. "I hope you know that I've missed you Cal. Nothing seemed right not having you mouthing off every chance you got." I glance at him and I notice he's lost the boyish charm and gained a man's presence. He's so much taller now. "I doubt you want me so close to the pack, so which cabin do you want me to take? The one out in the forest would be perfect for me to gather wild herbs." He lets out a sigh, " I honestly thought maybe we could try um." He scratches the back of his neck looking anywhere, but at me. "What?" " I thought maybe you could live with me and that way we could catch up and you'd be protected." Lie "Thanks but no thanks, I'll just take the cabin." He lets out a heavy sigh.
A door creaking slowly shut pulls my attention away to a woman. She's a tiny thing, probably stands close to my shoulder in height. Her curly blonde hair cropped short. She is beautiful in a child-like way. Her eyes meet mine and immediately drop to the floor. I can smell the fear permiate around us, marinating the area.
I smile without teeth, she wolves are either very docile or wild, never much in between. "Hi, I'm Callie!" I lean forward to hug her, to mingle our scents, but she practically jumps behind Roman, clinging to his shirt. This must be my new Luna. I raise my eyebrow at him in question. He looks down in defeat. "You must be the future Luna? When did you find out you were mates?" I can feel his eyes burning into my face, I never glance his way. In the tiniest voice I hear her mumble out," After the Blood Moon about four years ago." My heart clinches, this asshole moved on in a matter of days! I sobbed for him for two years and this is my truth, my reality? I feel the anger coiling up in my stomach like a cobra ready to strike him down. My canines sharpen, fangs pinching my lip. I can taste the blood pooling in my mouth. This is no man infront of me, he's nothing more than a mouse. I spit the blood in my mouth at his feet. She lets out a tiny squeal. "May the Goddess have mercy on you both for the lies you have deemed the truth." With nothing said in repsonse I can smell the salty scent of tears as I walk to my new home as far from him as possible.