Rediscovery

Goodnight, I love you, was a phrase that Emily heard throughout her childhood. Every time she was going to bed, she would get a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug before being dismissed. The ritual was cute as a kid, as an adult, it made her sheepish.

Even through the embarrassed feeling, Emily wanted to make sure her mother happy. Her mom's life was not easy since her dad passed. She only wanted to be included in her daughter's life. The least Emily could do was say goodnight to her. Hugs and kisses were a lot cheaper than rent, even if it made her feel like an adolescent.

Emily's mother was also too forgiving. She let Emily move back home after college. The offer was a blessing and a curse. Mom's kindness made it too convenient for Emily not to look for a job. Dinner was made every night and laundry was taken care of. Moving back home was like being at a Bed and Breakfast – there were no more ninety-nine cent mac & cheese meals.

"Tomorrow is a brand-new day," Mom said with a warm smile.

"Thanks Mom," Emily said.

"Oh! Before you go to bed..." Mom said while leaning down below her office desk. She lifted an old cardboard box up onto the desk with a heavy thud. "...I was looking through the basement earlier and came across these gems."

"What's that?" Emily asked, stepping closer.

Mom flipped the box open and pulled out some sheets of paper. "You know these."

"No way," Emily folded her arms. "You kept all of this?"

"You were such an artist, even then!" Mom said, flipping a sheet of paper around.

Emily stared at the paper, looking at the crude crayon figure of a ghost with an upside-down triangle for a head.

"I have no idea where you came up with these ideas," Mom said, handing the drawing to Emily. She began to sift through the box saying, "there was that tiger in here that I liked too."

Emily swallowed heavily while staring at the triangle-headed drawing. She shook her head and forced a smile, saying, "this stuff is so bad!"

"Nonsense! You've always had talent," Mom said.

"Talent doesn't seem to help get you employed," Emily sighed. She handed the paper back to her mother.

"You'll find a job, dear," Emily's mother said while taking the drawing and placing it back into the box. "You are exceptionally gifted."

Emily rubbed her own arm. "Thanks Mom," she said. "I'm going to hit the sack."

"Of course," Mom said. "Goodnight, I love you."