Behind Stormy Eyes

In a small town on the Isle of Laliliath, on a dark and stormy night, a lone figure crept hurriedly across the cobbled streets, taking small detours down hidden alleyways. She kept her cloak wrapped tightly around her body, although it did little to stop the heavy rain seeping through to her thin dress. A large hood hid her face from any source of light, and only the bottom half of her face was visible. A strand of sodden dark hair clung to her lips, and she flicked it away with a slender hand. The small movement caused the prevailing winds to whip back her cloak, revealing her thin cotton dress and making her shiver and cry out in annoyance. Yanking her cloak back into place, muttering curses under her breath, she made her way into a small house on the outskirts of town. 

Inside, a young couple were huddled together by the fire, with an elderly woman clearing up empty dishes from a battered wooden table in the middle of the small room. The fire had already heated the tiled floor and sent flickers of light across the plain concrete walls, and the cloaked woman gratefully kicked off her soaked boots, tore off her thick socks and planted her feet firmly against the wonderfully warm tiles. The elderly woman cast her a brief smile, placing the dishes into a wide sink before crossing the room to greet her.

"Greetings Tanya, how goes the night?" The elderly woman said softly, helping the new arrival remove the cloak that had all but plastered itself to her skin.

"It goes darkly, my dear Britta. The storm will surely wear the world to death if it does not end soon!" Tanya replied bitterly. She hated this weather, although it was a common occurrence in the Winter, and wished it could be summer again so she could walk out on duty without having to brace herself for the icy lashes of the wind and rain. Britta chuckled merrily. Having lived on the Isle all her life, she was no stranger to the storms, and no longer cared for ventures outside anyway.

"Ah Tanya, you know the Isle is used to these storms, just as I am. It has lived through much worse than this, and will surely survive many more before it finally admits defeat!"

A sudden knock on the door forced the two women to break off their easy banter. Britta frowned.

"Now who in their right minds would call upon us at this hour, and in this weather too?" She muttered. Tanya rolled her eyes, not bothering to mention her recent venture into the storm. Britta carefully made her way to the battered wooden door, looking back at Tanya with a confused expression on her face before lifting the heavy latch, forgetting about the strong winds as the door swung heavily inwards, nearly flooring the old woman. Cursing, she returned to the doorway. Outside stood a tiny figure, dressed only in a ragged t-shirt and torn trousers. The person has nothing on their feet. It was obviously a child, and as it looked up, Britta found herself looking into the bright green eyes of a tiny shivering street girl.