Chapter 1

I'm Alexus, I live in South Carolina, I'm 16 and I'm black. In my world, soulmates exist, and there is only one way to know know your who your soulmate is, a streak of hair. 

When we're born, we are born with a streak of hair that is the same color and texture as the natural hair of our soulmates. 

I'm a little different from the rest of the people I know. I have a blue streak of straight hair that stands up on my head. I flows like it's in water and I don't know how to tame it. I've tried putting an entire can of hairspray on it and and hiding under the rest of my hair but that only worked for five minutes. It just sprung right back up. I've also tried cutting it off but it would grow right back. 

When I say I'm different, I mean I'm really different. Everyone else has a natural color in their personal hair and the streak. My friend, Jessica, has a streak of short blonde hair that lays right across her forehead, making her have bangs. 

When I was younger I would get made fun of for it and I would always have to sit at the back of the class so my floating hair wouldn't cause a distraction. 

The only thing that I can think of is that my soulmate is a mermaid or they are at the bottom of the sea, decaying, but I like the mermaid idea better. 

My friend Jessica and I decide to go to a beach that only her and I know about. We drive on down the main beach. The beach that we are going to is secluded by the walls of cliffs and there is only one way to get to the beach. Through a cave that Jessica and I did a great job of hiding. 

We get out of her car and head to the cave. We make sure there isn't anyone else around before going in. Once we reach the beach I say "Jess, do you think that my soulmate could be a mermaid?" 

"Well," she says to me with her thick southern accent. "Maybe, but there has only been like three mermaid sightings in South Carolina. Apparently Ariana had an entire conversation with one but I pretty sure she is lying, like always." 

"It was just a thought," I say putting down my bag and taking off the shirt I had on over my swimsuit. 

I then sit on the sand. I look at the sky and think about my soulmate. Maybe I would meet them soon. I don't know. My imagination does weird things sometimes. 

Jessica takes her shirt off and goes into the water. She swims around for a few minutes before saying "Are you getting in or what?"

"Yeah, just give me a minute," I say to her before standing up and walking to the water. 

I walk into the water and let my feet soak. I stand there for a minute before stepping more into the water. I let my mind drift with the waves and for once not thinking about anything. I let myself go numb and I fall into the water. Wait no. Something pulled me under. I felt a hand grab my ankle and pull me under the waves. 

I stand right back up and look around for Jess. I don't see her for a minute or so but then I hear her pop up out of the water to the left of me. 

"Jess what was that for?!" I say to her abruptly. 

"What? What did I do?" she says to me standing up. 

"Don't try to act all innocent with me! You know what you did," I say walking to her.

"Actually, I don't know what you're talking about," she said to me.

I look at her confused and say "You didn't just pull me under?" 

"No," she says sassily. "You know I wouldn't do that to you."

"Well then...who did?"

Her and I look at each other in confusion and decide to get out. All of the recent encounters with mermaids/sirens haven't been pretty and we didn't want to risk it. 

We dry off for a bit before we head out. Jess drives me home. Once I get home, I head for my room. I take a shower and get into some sweatpants and black form-fitted tank top. 

I go down to my kitchen and look for something to eat. I find a package of bagel bites so I make those. 

I head back up to my room once my bagel bites are done and play on my phone. 

-Time skip: 10:00 pm-

I sit up right in my bed and play on my phone. I feel something lay on my head, it was subtle but I felt it. I feel the top of my head and feel that the streak of blue hair has laid down on its own. 

I find this a little fishy so I get out of my bed and decide to head down to the beach. I don't know why but something was telling my to do so. 

I get on my crocs and grab my keys. I go outside and get in my truck, once I start the engine I head on down to the isolated beach. 

I use my phone flashlight to see my way through the cave. Once I reach the beach, I see a girl. With blue hair. She is sitting on the sand near the water, looking up at the moonlight. I notice that she has a streak of long, curly black hair. I am in shock. Is this my soulmate?

--------------------------------------- 

Hello readers, welcome to the first chapter of this story. I really hope you like it and I will see you in the next chapter. 

Also, the picture above is a face claim. This is what I think our protagonist, Alexus, looks like.