The Tale of the Good Girl

It started like any other day. I woke up, lay in bed checking Facebook and my emails (who doesn’t do this now-a-days?), dragged myself to the shower, checked Facebook while waiting for the water to heat up, showered, dressed, checked Facebook and then left for work.

It was after stepping outside that I noticed something was wrong. There weren’t nearly as many people in the streets, was something on? Wait, please don’t let it be a Sunday! I quickly checked my phone thankful to see it was a Wednesday. I shrugged it off though and continued my walk to work bobbing along to The Kinks.

I turned the final corner of my walk to work and prepared my ‘You’re disgusting’ face for the construction workers who always wolf-whistled at me whenever I walked past. Sadly though today there were no construction workers. I was disappointed, where would my self-confidence come from now?

Dejectedly I walked into the elevator and hit the 12th floor button. When the doors opened I knew something really strange was up as only Pete was present even though it was normally packed by this time (so I’m always late, who cares? Well my boss…but back to the story).

“Angie!” Pete came rushing over to me. Pete was an attractive man who worked next to me. He was around 6 feet tall and had large broad shoulders and decent sized muscles he acquired after spending hours at the gym. He had short, brown hair and hazel eyes. Think Tom Felton and you would be way off. Nah, he’s more like a Channing Tatum perhaps.

“Late as usual,” He clucked in his usual disapproving tone.

“Hey! It was just because-“

“Yeah, yeah,” He cut me off, surprising me. Normally Pete was very polite, “Save the excuses. Anyway something weird is going on!”

“I knew it! I didn’t think I was early. Where is everyone?”

“Have you not read the news?” As I shook my head, he clucked his tongue again and pulled his phone out of his pocket and after a few taps shoved it into my face.

Where have all the good guys gone?

“Why are you showing me this crap? Are you worried because now you won’t be able to find a good guy? You know bad boys are pretty fun too.”

Pete glared at me, “Shut up and read.”

I turned my attention back to the phone, a smile playing on my face.

Having awoken this morning, the country has found half of the population has gone missing! After some research it appears all the good people have disappeared.

I stopped reading there, “What the hell is this junk? All the good people have disappeared?” I laughed and handed his phone back to him, “Why are you wasting my time with this garbage?” Pete followed as I made my way to my desk,

“Don’t you get it? It’s us that has gone missing!”

“Ok what did you have for breakfast? Crazy loops was it?” I laughed at my own joke, “Crazy loops, that’s a good one. I need to write that down.” Pete snatched my notepad and pen out of my hand, “Hey! I won’t remember if I don’t write it down now!”

“Angie! Look around you! Doesn’t anything seem weird to you?”

I did look around then and did notice a few things off. For example, the desk next to mine had rubber bands spilled all over the place, the bosses office appeared to have a beach ball in it, ok so there wasn’t anything that super weird.

“So the boss went to the beach and Sheila has a rubber band fetish, what’s the big deal?”

“You really are blind,” He took my head in his hands and turned my neck to the back of the room, “Can you see it now?”

I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating, “I must’ve had crazy loops for breakfast too because there appears to be a big pink elephant in the room and I’m not talking about your gay tendencies.”

“How could you not have seen that when you walked in?” Pete sounded exasperated, which he normally did when talking to me.

“I really should get my eyes checked, huh?” I grinned up at him, “Anyway, let’s get to work!”

“You want to work? Even though there’s a pink elephant in the room and nobody else is here? You really are crazy, Angie.”

“I’m a dedicated worker. Ok so if that article is correct then are we the good guys or the bad guys?”

“We are the good guys, Angie, otherwise we wouldn’t be on this weird earth place.” Pete stood me up, “Come on, let’s go exploring!”

“What about work you slacker?”

“So you learn that you are in a parallel universe and you want to work?” He looked at me incredulously, “Angie, we are going exploring!” And before I could say anything the sexy man beast grabbed my arm and dragged me back to the elevators.

It was while we were exploring the mall when a hologram appeared in front of us. I screamed and held onto Pete’s arm which was so surprisingly firm that I may have squeezed a few more times than necessary.

“Welcome to my version of Earth,” There was a girl with blonde pigtails on the screen and she looked to be about fifteen years old, “You have been hand chosen by me to participate and find love on this planet. I have watched you good people be hurt and trodden on by the bad people which then makes it harder for you to trust the good people when they do come along! So I took it upon myself to ensure that only good people exist here in this world. I am not from your world, I am from one of your neighbouring planets but I can not tell you which one due to stupid galaxy law. I appear to you in the form closest to your own and I speak the language you speak. Now, I hope you find love in-“

“Cylia!” A deep booming voice came from off screen, “What are you doing?”

“Dad! I’m busy!”

“Is that-is that the earth people?! What have you done?!”

Cylia rolled her eyes, “I am giving them a chance to find love with the proper people, Dad. Now get out of my room!”

“Cylia! Put them back where they’re supposed to be! After that, you are grounded for a month.”

“But Daaaaaad-”

“No buts! Do it now, Cylia.”

Cylia pouted, “Fine. Don’t forget who you found!” She said quickly. The hologram then closed and the mall was full of people again.

“What the hell just happened?”

“Uh…Angie, you can let go of my arm now,” I grinned and squeezed one final time before letting go, “I guess we are back on the real Earth. Now we should probably get back to work.”

I pouted, “Now you want me to work? Let’s just take the rest of the day off.” I pulled on his arm, “Let’s go on a date! Cylia wanted us to find love, so let’s go look for it,” With a grin and a pull of his hand I guided him out of the mall, planning on the best date ever. I couldn’t let Cylia down, I was to find love!