Chapter 2

“Their truck says, ‘MT-Comm’.” Adam said, looking back at Harry who was organizing a box of bolts into small, labeled trays.

“MT-Comm? I’ve never heard of them.” Harry shifted his glasses and examined another handful of bolts.

Adam stood at the front window of Hendrix Hardware store, attempting to peer through the trees at the cherry-picker equipped box-truck across the street.

“I just think it’s weird that no one knows who they are,” Adam said.

“What’s weird about it? They’re probably just some contractors the utility companies hired to put in new lines or something.” Harry put the tray of bolts back into the drawer, grabbed his walker, and made his way over to Adam.

“Adam, I need you to go around back to see if we have any more U-bolts, like this one.” Harry held up the aptly-named piece of hardware to show his young employee.

Adam had been working for Harry Hendrix’s hardware for about a year and a half, and for the most part, was a good employee. When he first started, Harry didn’t think the arrangement was going to work out because of Adam’s shocking ignorance to almost all hardware-related items. But what he lacked in knowledge, he made up for with his good nature and punctuality (a characteristic that Harry found especially rare among young people in Summerland).

Though he’d never admit it, the real reason he kept Adam around had nothing to do with his value as a hardware-store employee. Since the new Lowes had gone up in Fredonia, about 20 minutes up Highway 60, business had become so slow that even with his back condition, Harry could have easily managed running the store by himself. After 30 years of operating a business that had once been at the center of a busy little downtown, it was just nice to have someone else around on lonely afternoons when a lack of customers left the store so quiet.  

Adam returned from the small storage area in the back of the store with a carton of U-bolts, and placed them on the shelf.

“I just don’t get why they’d be putting new cell towers up,” Adam said. “It’s not like there’s more people moving to town all the time.”

“Adam, I really don’t see why you’re even concerned with some new cable company coming to town,” Harry said.

“It just seems strange to me, that’s all,” Adam said. “They just started showing up a few weeks ago. Who knows what they’re doing here?”

The small brass bell that hung over the top of the store’s entrance door rang, as Harry peered out into the afternoon sky. In the distance, black clouds were forming, and the gusts of hot breeze were growing evermore still.

“Listen Adam,” Harry said. “I’m going to need you to go get our fold-up signs in off the sidewalk. It looks like the weather is about to turn.”

Adam obeyed, and walked out into the calm air to gather the hand-painted signs.

“Boss, you think those clouds mean we’re in for a storm?"

“I’m not sure. But I’d rather not take any chances.”